Header Coating Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Header Coating Poll

I thought it would be a good idea to have a single location where people can go to get a better idea as to the types of coating mostly used for header coatings. This is my first post and after months of just reading, I have finally decided to jump in...the only problem, I am split as to the best way to start with a header coating that "most" customers would rather have on their headers.

Sooo, anyone who is coating headers, if you could please vote and give more detail in your post I think this would be a great spot for Noobs to look.
    Techline Ceramic Coatings
    62.50%
    Techline Exhaust System Coatings (non ceramic)
    6.25%
    Chromex
    6.25%
    High Temp Powder Coat
    12.50%
    Other
    12.50%

Re: Header Coating Poll

I personnaly like the Tech-Line Ceramic coating but theres another PC'er in my city that says powder coating is the only way to go and convinces people to pc them instead of ceramic because its "better". I don't like to talk bad about competition and because of it I've lost a few jobs to him, but oh-well and I tried to explain to him that pc-ing headers is basicly just a thick coat of paint where the ceramic has a purpose, but he won't listen so I just remember my motto- "Don't argue with a stupid person- someone might see and think your both stupid"
    Save the trees- burn Rubber!
    };^)>

Comment

Sorry...if this is a stupid question but I am new at this. I remember reading somewhere (web site) that you couldn't powder coat headers (get too hot). The site said that the headers will get hot (to the melting point of the powder) and the paint will re-melt and come off. I guess these new coatings cure after they melt and won't re-melt? Can anyone clarifiy for me.
      Thanks
      Rog

Comment

Powder will burn, or distort at these higher temps. Ceramic will not only hold up to the heat, but is functional in that it acts as a heat barrier, it keeps the under-hood temps lower. On a snowmobile pipe, for example, you can actually gain up to 10 horsepower just by ceramic coating the exhaust pipe because it stays cooler under the hood.
        TSA Custom Metal Finishes
        Live fast, Die sideways

Comment

Originally posted by Fabricator77
          Sorry...if this is a stupid question but I am new at this. I remember reading somewhere (web site) that you couldn't powder coat headers (get too hot). The site said that the headers will get hot (to the melting point of the powder) and the paint will re-melt and come off. I guess these new coatings cure after they melt and won't re-melt? Can anyone clarifiy for me.
          Thanks
          Rog
          no question asked from lack of knowing is stupid bro. as for the talk of ceramics here they are not powder and do not melt. they are a hybrid ceramic liquid that is applied with a small tip on a traditional spray gun. like powder they are a thermo set compound that need temperature to rise to a certain level to fully harden. when this is attained they are then "set" after that the are fully cured and will withstand between 1200 and 2000 degrees depending on the coatings. there is also a high temp powder that is silicon based that work like normal powder but will handle up to 1200 degrees due to the silicon base. if this powder is subjected to over temp it may bubble, or burn off and ash. hope this helps you understand.
          when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
          G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

Thanks guys....that clears things up. Appreciate your patience.

Comment

So does anyone know what makes up the Techline Exhuast system coating as it is not ceramic based and withstands up to 2000f? Does it "fill-in" as good as ceramic or powder coat? Can you put layers on it build up the protection? Is is good against normal wear and tear...like scratches and stones hitting the pipes?

As well, since its not ceramic based, and most people who are looking for header protection...ask for ceramic. How do you push non ceramic?

I just got my HVLP gun on the weekend and am dieing to start!

Comment

I just checked the poll and noticed that no one is using the "non ceramic" coatings aka Black satin..any reason for this? Does everyone have a tumbler at their shop?

I think another good thread would be the home made header tumbler..right underneath the "Oven Building Forum". Seriously!

Comment

I just checked the poll and noticed that no one is using the "non ceramic" coatings aka Black satin..any reason for this? Does everyone have a tumbler at their shop?
                  Originally posted by Timmer
                  I think another good thread would be the home made header tumbler..right underneath the "Oven Building Forum". Seriously!
                  We tend to make new forums when we see a lot of discussion history regarding a certain subject. Post your home made tumbler discussions in the Polishing forum, and if there's a lot of interest, we'll split it off.
                  --
                  Mike Caswell
                  Caswell Inc
                  http://www.caswellplating.com
                  Need Support? Visit our online support section at http://support.caswellplating.com

Comment

About 80% of my business is some kind of engine coating. And regarding headers, turbinehousings, WG housings, downpipes etc. 100% is Black Satin. As you now get the picture that most of our customers are turbogeeks and as we also manufacture some of the systems ourself, the BHK coating is just outstanding. Just no way we could get Cermakrome or similar to stand up to the heats produced in our engines...

Other than that we also do a lot of pistoncoating with Techline products like CBX and TLML and on occation TLTD, well, a bit off topic...
                    WEIRD Performance & Coatings
                    Sweden

Comment

As I understand it, there is almost more benifit to having the inside of the header coated than the outside, in order to "smooth" it out and increase flow.

Are many people doing it?? If so how are you coating the inside of header....without dunking it in a bucket of coating?

Thanks

Comment

The point of the coating on the inside isn't to improve flow, but as a thermal barrier- It keeps the metal from absorbing a majority of heat- thus reducing underhood temp= better running engine. Most of the bigger companys do "dip" their headers, some just use a high pressure gun and spray in all the tubes and they say enough sticks to the inside. I've done this and so has another guy I know and it seems to work- whether or not we're getting a thick enough coating or not is uncertain.
                        Save the trees- burn Rubber!
                        };^)>

Comment

Originally posted by Timmer
                          As I understand it, there is almost more benifit to having the inside of the header coated than the outside, in order to "smooth" it out and increase flow.

Are many people doing it?? If so how are you coating the inside of header....without dunking it in a bucket of coating?

Thanks
                          Plug the ends, poor in a few dl of coating and turn it around really good, then let the the rest drop out, airdry for "many" hours before it goes in the owen for curing. The price for having a large enough container filled to dip a 6 cyl header is just to expensive for a small business. And trying to spray it inside, well, never got that to work really well either.

I belive it increases the gas speed further since it leaves an almost glass like surface after curing and also help reducing the heatspread from the pipe. When we do a full coating of a header we start with MCS undercoat, top with Black Satin, and the inside is done with TLHB. This is as good as you can get it.

We do inside on about 10% of all headers. Also done on a lot of cromed motorcycle pipes inside to reduce the "bluening" effect.
                          Sweden

Comment

Originally posted by Zpider
                            Plug the ends, poor in a few dl of coating and turn it around really good, then let the the rest drop out, airdry for "many" hours before it goes in the owen for curing. The price for having a large enough container filled to dip a 6 cyl header is just to expensive for a small business. And trying to spray it inside, well, never got that to work really well either.

I belive it increases the gas speed further since it leaves an almost glass like surface after curing and also help reducing the heatspread from the pipe. When we do a full coating of a header we start with MCS undercoat, top with Black Satin, and the inside is done with TLHB. This is as good as you can get it.

We do inside on about 10% of all headers. Also done on a lot of cromed motorcycle pipes inside to reduce the "bluening" effect.
                            Awsome...

What exactly is MCS Undercoat and who sells it. As well what is TLHB. Sorry for teh noob question but I cant find it anywhere...and that is exactly what Im lookin for.

Comment

All listed names are Techline products...
                              Sweden

Comment

Working...
                              X