Brutal efficiency....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brutal efficiency....

I have 2 motives for this thread, one i need to vent and the second to gather information from everyone here based on their past trials..

First the rant;

I had recieved to small plates from one of the local hot rodders to blast and PC gloss black. No prob i thought, the plates had some crappy spray paint on them, HA! no match for my fresh 50# bag of glass bead and new 100 gallon air compressor with a twin piston compressor freshly wired that morning.
    I ziped the parts thru the blast cabinet and wash down, off to the waiting oven for prebake... into the booth for the magic dust!

i bought powder from a new source to try it out (that wont happen again) it went on great, flowed nice from the gun layed on the parts nice and even, it even glossed out perfect.
    Here is where it got ugly; time was up, took the parts out and Holy [email protected]! they look like $hit! orange peel, the gloss was more like satin in some spots, and areas that were so thin the metal shown thru. I have done a few peices in a hurry and they didnt come out THIS bad, in fact they were perfect.

Damn... gotta start over, i was pi$$ed.. i poped them back in the blaster... the bead barely got to the metal, the stuff was on there... no navel jelly left either, so i used another striper product that has worked in the past with good results. it bubbled the finish a bit but just enough to scrape the surface, i could scrape it off with the edge of the scraper blade tho. so i poped it in the blaster thinking if it was so soft it would come off easy now... HA.. nothin doin! so i had to scrape and wire wheel it all off.
    Complete frustration, i almost did a Jimi Hendrix and used gas and a match to burn it off, i was border line tantrum!

This all brings me to ask;

What is the most brutally efficient method YOU use to remove stubborn finishes from your parts, I'd like to know what it is, and have it for everyone to see, to avoid spending an entire day [email protected] around with 2 stinkin parts like i did.
    Last edited by KZjim; 01-23-2006, 08:54 PM.
    If it jams; Force it. And if it breaks it needed replacing anyway.

I can go from 0 to "What seems to be the problem Officer?" in 3 seconds."

Re: Brutal efficiency....

I use an industrial stripper that peels it off in minutes. The only problem is, it will also melt your skin off if you are not extremely careful with it.
    Leo
    www.tinmans.net
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!!!" ----- Unknown

Comment

Names man!.. I want names!.. nothing is to brutal at this point for me...

Comment

Go to HomeDepot and get the large 50gal industrial piant stripper jug, just wire the part and dip in, takes 15 min's to take off 3 layers of powder coat.

Comment

Originally posted by tavo1765
          Go to HomeDepot and get the large 50gal industrial piant stripper jug, just wire the part and dip in, takes 15 min's to take off 3 layers of powder coat.
          Dude!! 50 gal?? What kind of Home Depot is this? I have never seen it in more than a 1 gal can at any HD or Lowes. Is there some kind of seceret password to get to the bulk stuff?

Jason
          Auto-Cycle PC

Comment

its in the same section they sell the 1 gal here

Comment

Do you think he means 5 gallons? I want some of this stuff
              Steve Dold
              http://stevedold.com

Comment

No thats what i'm talking about! .. im gonna hunt it down and get me some. Ill post the brand when i find it.

Comment

Benco #B17, about $12.00 a gallon in a 30 gallon drum delivered. Also available in 5 gallons for a little more plus delivery. 55-65% methylene chloride by weight. 1-800-632-3626
                  www.tinmans.net
                  "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!!!" ----- Unknown

Comment

I did mean a 50 gallon stripper from H.D

Comment

I did a search for that.. nothing found?

Comment

I found it.. here is the link

http://www.bencosales.com/

Comment

Thanks that helps

Comment

Sorry about not having the link fellas, but I just always dealt with them over the phone. If you use this stuff, you need to be extremely careful - I recommend rubber chemical gloves, apron, face shield and respirator.

Leo
                            www.tinmans.net

Comment

Originally posted by cdaeme
                              Dude!! 50 gal?? What kind of Home Depot is this? I have never seen it in more than a 1 gal can at any HD or Lowes. Is there some kind of seceret password to get to the bulk stuff?

Jason
                              Auto-Cycle PC
                              I was thinking the same thing. I even asked ordering a 5 gallon stripper and was told no.

Comment

Working...
                              X