Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brutal efficiency....

Originally posted by tinbender722
    Benco #B17, about $12.00 a gallon in a 30 gallon drum delivered. Also available in 5 gallons for a little more plus delivery. 55-65% methylene chloride by weight. 1-800-632-3626
    How long can you use it before its no longer effective?

Comment

I think I bought my last drum about 2 -3 months ago - I'll have to look it up, but what is left of it still works Okay. It might be a little bit slower on some stuff, but if you leave it in there it will get it off. It doesn't dissolve it, it comes off in sheets. I've got a sample of some other stuff coming from these people: www.solventkleene.com

Later,
      Leo
      www.tinmans.net
      "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!!!" ----- Unknown

Comment

Do you strain it to get out the 'sheets' of coating? Or just leave it in there and continue on?

Doesnt it become just a bucket 'o **** after a few uses?

Comment

I use a perforated strainer and scoop the "skins" out every couple of uses. The paint does not dissolve into the mixture, so it stays the same consistency, thin like water.

Leo
          www.tinmans.net
          "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!!!" ----- Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by tinbender722
            Benco #B17, about $12.00 a gallon in a 30 gallon drum delivered. Also available in 5 gallons for a little more plus delivery. 55-65% methylene chloride by weight. 1-800-632-3626
            So, your talking $360 for a 30 gallon drum, correct?

Comment

I can't remember exactly what I paid, but that is real close. $12.00 - $13.00 per gallon. That includes delivery. They run their own trucks and come through this area every two weeks.

My sample from Solventkleene came in today. They sent a small bottle with about 16 ounces in it. It worked pretty good on a piece of conduit that we had coated for a color sample. It dissolved the powder rather than causing it to release from the substrate in sheets. I will have to check more into this one as they claim it to be environmentally friendly.

Hope this info is helping you.

Leo
              www.tinmans.net

Comment

It is for sure.... helping me make up my mind what I want to do.

Thanks. I will keep an eye on this thread to see how you like the new stuff.

Comment

Ok first the disclaimer-- I have lots of experience with the equipment used in this experiment. DO NOT TRY THIS ON THIN METALS OR MAGNESIUM. Only try this outside. I do not want to hear I ruined my parts.

I have only tried this on sample parts so far and will not use it on customer parts until I see some feedback from here.

I was cutting with my cutting torch last night on the metal booth i am converting to an oven as I am watching the paint just disintegrate from this thing I am wondering what will this do to old powder coating? I have had an old aluminum wheel lying around I wanted to use for a sample piece but it had a really thick coat of factory powder coating on it that nothing I have used would strip successfully.

I used the torch with a low flame (very little oxygen) and passed the flame over the coating it would instantly pop and burn right off all I had to do was just pass over the area with the flame without stopping. I gave the wife the digital thermometer to monitor the temp of the wheel I completely stripped the wheel of all coating in less than 10 min the temp of the wheel never exceeded 300f and was around 270f when I finished. All the old coating is now ash and ready to enter the sandblaster for a quick etch.

I had already spent 1-1 1/2 hours trying to strip this wheel chemically and with alum oxide / black beauty and only had about 1/3 of it stripped. I had previously tried a handheld propane torch but it would barely make the coating bubble up.

I am going to change the tip to a brazing tip next time and try that it should work better without the chance if accidently cutting through something. What do you guys think? ever tried it? possible problems?

Jason
                  www.autocyclepc.com

Comment

Jason,

Instead of using a brazing tip why not try a "rosebud" tip? This tip is used for heating metal and has a real broad flame! Run it the same way you ran your other tip, should cover more area in less time!

John

Comment

this might not be a bad idea at all. basically you have come up with a burn off oven but with out the heat soak. i am interested in more feedback as well.
                      when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
                      G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

Originally posted by jrow
                        Jason,

Instead of using a brazing tip why not try a "rosebud" tip? This tip is used for heating metal and has a real broad flame! Run it the same way you ran your other tip, should cover more area in less time!

John
                        Thats a great idea I will try that. I just finished stripping a bathroom mirror frame the same way. My brother brought a wire type mirror frame with several small leaves in thin metal it was powder coated black and the round rods and for the framing and design are very time consuming to blast and the powder coating makes it more difficult. This thing is now coated in a white ash with no warping including the leaves all in less than 5 min.

Jason
                        www.autocyclepc.com

Comment

You could try d-zolve, it has no meth. chloride. One stripper you can use at room temp. one you have to heat. They sent me two samples to try for free.

Comment

rose bud tip on meavy metals (steel)

NAPA BRAND carb cleaner. 5gallon buckets $80. I have a 20gallon parts washer full of it.

Comment

Originally posted by FSTFBDY
                              rose bud tip on meavy metals (steel)

NAPA BRAND carb cleaner. 5gallon buckets $80. I have a 20gallon parts washer full of it.
                              How long have you been using the rose bud tip? Any Problems so far?

Jason

Comment

I use the D-Zolve 1012 from solvent kleene. It does the trick pretty well. Its a little pricey though..

Comment

Working...
                                X