• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mtumbleson
    replied
    Re: Brutal efficiency....

Originally posted by mtnbiker
    Excuse me, but I think you should learn to quote... since I never said that. Go back and look... try again buddy.

My point was that with many parts I do, I cannot use a sander. Do you understand that? There are way to many crooks and crannies to get into... a sand just wouldnt do the trick.

I bet you would spend more than 30 min of sanding on many parts I do... 30 min dip in a stripper and its done. And I can do other things at the same time. Thats called time management.
    Your right, my bad I thought you started the thread.

But you are wrong one one part, I don't spend that kind of time stripping parts...

Leave a comment:

• lcaswell
    replied

"Can't we all just get along" - Rodney King

Leave a comment:

• sswee
    replied

I have used all the methods mentioned and a few more. Sometimes a combination of them depending on the part. I've found that no one way will work best with all applications. There are just too many coating types and different substrates to make it a possibility.

Leave a comment:

• mtnbiker
    replied

Originally posted by mtumbleson
    I've never used anything else, works great and gets it done in no time. Speaking of time, I have better things to do than standing around waiting for paint stripper to do its thing, or better yet trying several things that don't work at all.... (You're the one that wasted an entire day, and you're lecturing me about time, give me a break!)

BTW you did ask what "we" used, I tell you and you come off with an attitude like that, your the one that wasted a day on something that would have taken a few minutes to fix...
    Excuse me, but I think you should learn to quote... since I never said that. Go back and look... try again buddy.

My point was that with many parts I do, I cannot use a sander. Do you understand that? There are way to many crooks and crannies to get into... a sand just wouldnt do the trick.

I bet you would spend more than 30 min of sanding on many parts I do... 30 min dip in a stripper and its done. And I can do other things at the same time. Thats called time management.

Leave a comment:

• mtumbleson
    replied

Originally posted by mtnbiker
    Sanding... no thanks. I have better things to do with my time.

" What is the most brutally efficient method YOU use to remove stubborn finishes from your parts, "

I'd like to know what it is, and have it for everyone to see, to avoid spending an entire day [email protected] around with 2 stinkin parts like i did.

I've never used anything else, works great and gets it done in no time. Speaking of time, I have better things to do than standing around waiting for paint stripper to do its thing, or better yet trying several things that don't work at all.... (You're the one that wasted an entire day, and you're lecturing me about time, give me a break!)

BTW you did ask what "we" used, I tell you and you come off with an attitude like that, your the one that wasted a day on something that would have taken a few minutes to fix...
    Last edited by mtumbleson; 03-21-2006, 09:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mtnbiker
    replied

Originally posted by mtumbleson
    This works best for me.
    Sanding... no thanks. I have better things to do with my time.

And what happens when you have intricate parts with lots of groove and such.

Leave a comment:

• mtumbleson
    replied

This works best for me.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• mtnbiker
    replied

Originally posted by boink
    I use the D-Zolve 1012 from solvent kleene. It does the trick pretty well. Its a little pricey though..
    It wouldnt be so bad if you didnt have to buy 5 gallons at a time!

I am having trouble talking myself into spending more than $200 (after shipping is included) to see if I like it. Would be nice to try it out first in a smaller quantity.

Leave a comment:

• boink
    replied

I use the D-Zolve 1012 from solvent kleene. It does the trick pretty well. Its a little pricey though..

Leave a comment:

• cdaeme
    replied

Originally posted by FSTFBDY
    rose bud tip on meavy metals (steel)

NAPA BRAND carb cleaner. 5gallon buckets $80. I have a 20gallon parts washer full of it.
    How long have you been using the rose bud tip? Any Problems so far?

Jason

Leave a comment:

• FSTFBDY
    replied

rose bud tip on meavy metals (steel)

NAPA BRAND carb cleaner. 5gallon buckets $80. I have a 20gallon parts washer full of it.

Leave a comment:

• rodman13
    replied

You could try d-zolve, it has no meth. chloride. One stripper you can use at room temp. one you have to heat. They sent me two samples to try for free.

Leave a comment:

• cdaeme
    replied

Originally posted by jrow
    Jason,

Instead of using a brazing tip why not try a "rosebud" tip? This tip is used for heating metal and has a real broad flame! Run it the same way you ran your other tip, should cover more area in less time!

John
    Thats a great idea I will try that. I just finished stripping a bathroom mirror frame the same way. My brother brought a wire type mirror frame with several small leaves in thin metal it was powder coated black and the round rods and for the framing and design are very time consuming to blast and the powder coating makes it more difficult. This thing is now coated in a white ash with no warping including the leaves all in less than 5 min.

Jason
    www.autocyclepc.com

Leave a comment:

• pickleboy
    replied

this might not be a bad idea at all. basically you have come up with a burn off oven but with out the heat soak. i am interested in more feedback as well.

Leave a comment:

• jrow
    replied

Jason,

Instead of using a brazing tip why not try a "rosebud" tip? This tip is used for heating metal and has a real broad flame! Run it the same way you ran your other tip, should cover more area in less time!

John

Leave a comment:

Working...
X