couple exhaust questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• couple exhaust questions

First, what would you charge to ceramic coat a set of headers, and what would you charge to powder? Looking for the cost difference here.
    Second, What should I charge to powder the rest of the exhaust?
    these would both be not including prep.
    Lastly, how well do the IR lights work, and do they work for ceramic?
    Thanks in advance for your help, all!
    mach
    TSA Custom Metal Finishes
    Live fast, Die sideways

Re: couple exhaust questions

for old school small block headers i would charge between 100-150 for the set. for new shorty style between 75-125 for the set. depends on the prep time needed. as for ir lamps i cant say as i have not used them. i also have not done any high temp powder. for the powder i would bid it just like it was standard powder and add 20% to the material cost. ceramic does not have to be cured in an oven. it can be air dried and then when attached to the engine it will fully cure.
    when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
    G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

Thanks pickleguy, I appreciate the response. Boy, things are really starting to take off! I guess all this lack of snow made all the hot rodders restless, they're coming out of the woodwork! I'm not gonna have time to work on the '72 if this keeps up, good thing the '03 is ready to go!
      mach
      Live fast, Die sideways

Comment

high temp powder will bubble up and peel off if heated over 1000
        and most headers go over 1000 easily
        I would go with ceramic
        like pickleboy said ceramic can air cure unless you are ussing chromex or cermakrome
        and IR lamps will not work for ceramic coatings
        ceramic coatings need to be cure at 500 deg ( part temp)
        for 1 hour
        and my IR lamp have never even worked for powder wich is cured at 400
        you need to make some sort of enclosure for it to reach 400
        my lamp is a 1500 watt a bigger one might work better for powder but I really don't think it can get things up to 500

Comment

what is the best way to apply ceramic coating inside and out of headers
          i can go to 500 f whit my oven
          can i put black satin inside et chromex outside
          thank

Comment

Originally posted by jtagger19
            high temp powder will bubble up and peel off if heated over 1000
            and most headers go over 1000 easily
            This statement is not true, I powder coat headers all the time and never have any issues. I have them on stock engines and street rod engines, Never had them bubble or peel. Only engine that will get over 1000 degrees are Drags and Desiel engines, or unless your running real Lean on the mixtures and if your running that lean well you will damag ethe engine before the powder coat..

Jim S...
            Jim Shuster
            www.backyardpowdercoating.com Sold.....
            www.chrissys68mustang.com Hobbie
            www.photogserver.net Web Hosting.

Comment

Originally posted by hvac36
              This statement is not true, I powder coat headers all the time and never have any issues. I have them on stock engines and street rod engines, Never had them bubble or peel. Only engine that will get over 1000 degrees are Drags and Desiel engines, or unless your running real Lean on the mixtures and if your running that lean well you will damag ethe engine before the powder coat..

Jim S...

Turbo Charged Engines see 1200-1600 degrees regularly. I have an EGT gauge and I can sweat to it.

Comment

ok ok, not gonna get in an argument, but I'm a toolmaker with experience in heat treating, and to harden steel you have to reach 1450 degrees before quenching. If you've ever seen steel at 1450 degrees, it's a BRIGHT cherry red, & in all my years of hot rodding, I've NEVER seen headers red unless there was something TERRIBLY wrong with the engine. When I fire my Mach up this spring, I'll take a reading with my IR thermometer & post results.
                Thanks for the info guys!
                mach
                Live fast, Die sideways

Comment

I have heard of a few issues with doign exhaust manifolds with high temp powder. Truck, snowmobile and motorcycle. I wont do them.

Comment

Originally posted by machone
                    ok ok, not gonna get in an argument, but I'm a toolmaker with experience in heat treating, and to harden steel you have to reach 1450 degrees before quenching. If you've ever seen steel at 1450 degrees, it's a BRIGHT cherry red, & in all my years of hot rodding, I've NEVER seen headers red unless there was something TERRIBLY wrong with the engine. When I fire my Mach up this spring, I'll take a reading with my IR thermometer & post results.
                    Thanks for the info guys!
                    mach
                    I have seen manifolds and headers glow on more than one occasion. Just by having the ignition timing off will cause this. And this is more common to happen right after the engine has been put together and usually with manifiolds that have been freshly powdercoated.

There is no way I would put powder on the exhaust unless it was for a stock vehicle with cast iron manifolds.

Comment

did the headers in ceramic, rest of exhaust in high temp powder. Turned out good.
                      BTW, cured the rest of exhaust with new 2000 watt IR light. Took a little longer, having to move the light down the pipe, but got to 400 easily.
                      mach
                      Last edited by machone; 02-10-2006, 06:14 PM.
                      Live fast, Die sideways

Comment

this is the test i want a do
                        powder coat whit hi temp coating on the headers cook it let it cool then
                        apply ceramic coating inside(good to 2000 f) make sure the product cover the entier headers inside
                        according to the instruction label the product should drop the surface temp drasticly and that will help the hi temp coating stay in place and not flaking

somebody try that before
                        by the way what is the spec for max temp of the high temp powder

Comment

The Silicone powders we sell will withstand 1200F
                          --
                          Lance Caswell
                          Caswell Inc
                          http://www.caswellplating.com
                          Need Support? Visit our online support section at http://support.caswellplating.com

Please support the moderators on our site by leaving reputation for their helpful posts. Read more here.

Comment

thank for the info

Comment

Originally posted by hulk30
                              this is the test i want a do
                              powder coat whit hi temp coating on the headers cook it let it cool then
                              apply ceramic coating inside(good to 2000 f) make sure the product cover the entier headers inside
                              according to the instruction label the product should drop the surface temp drasticly and that will help the hi temp coating stay in place and not flaking

somebody try that before
                              by the way what is the spec for max temp of the high temp powder

i think thats a sweat way to do it tho
                              D.I.L.U.S.I.

Drive It Like You Stole It

Comment

Working...
                              X