Can you powdercoat over anodizing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you powdercoat over anodizing?

I got a pair of brake calipers that a customer wants powdercoated but they are anodized silver. Can I coat over it or does it need to be removed? I searched and found I can use oven cleaner or Caswells stripper but is that neccessart? Just wondering.
    Last edited by UnorthodoxCreations; 01-29-2006, 05:59 PM.
    Unorthodox Creations Powdercoating

Re: Can you powdercoat over anodizing?

the biggest problem i can think of is anodizing works as an insulator, meaning it is not conductive. that being the case you still may be able to pc them as long as you preheat the parts and shoot hot. i would wait and se if sswee answers back as he does both ano and pc so maybe he has tried what you ask.
    when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
    G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

That's something I have thought about but haven't tried yet. Since some anodizing is used as a pretreatment for painting to give corrosion protection and a good tooth for the paint to hold onto, it would seem to be a good idea. The possible problems would be the electrical issue with powdering, contaminates from the pores of the anodize coming out under heat on a used part, and no idea what would happen in an out gas situation with the anodize coating. I can't give a definite answer one way or the other. Sorry. My first inclination would be to strip them.
      SS

Comment

You need to strip it. I did a few of my boat parts that where anodized and it started coming off 6 months later.

Comment

Originally posted by sswee
          That's something I have thought about but haven't tried yet. Since some anodizing is used as a pretreatment for painting to give corrosion protection and a good tooth for the paint to hold onto, it would seem to be a good idea. The possible problems would be the electrical issue with powdering, contaminates from the pores of the anodize coming out under heat on a used part, and no idea what would happen in an out gas situation with the anodize coating. I can't give a definite answer one way or the other. Sorry. My first inclination would be to strip them.
          SS
          I know alot of custom boat paint shops that have metal parts powder coated to use as a primer/base coat.

Comment

anodizing it's not big problem
            I sandblast it and comes off easy
            then prep an coat as normal

Comment

Sounds good, I'll strip them. Not worth the chance of having them flake off or something in a couple months.

Thanks
              Adam
              Unorthodox Creations Powdercoating

Comment

Originally posted by jtagger19
                anodizing it's not big problem
                I sandblast it and comes off easy
                then prep an coat as normal
                Same here.

Comment

Working...