frustrating, need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frustrating, need help

I have a ******** procoat gun. I use columbia coating and dupont (sorry caswell, these were supplied with the equipment that I bought from someone).

I have orange peel really bad.

I have searched this forum and read every orange peel thread.

If I lighten the amount of powder on the part then after it is cured you can see the metal (black appearance in certain lighting).

If I thicken the amount of powder it has bad orange peel.

I cure at 395 degrees for 20 minutes.

the columbia coating states to cure 20-25 minutes at 385-400 degrees.

I'm not sure what else to try at this point, but would really like to get this resolved.
    www.aapowdercoating.net

Re: frustrating, need help

We need a little more info. What type of metal are you trying to PC? What streps did you take to prep the metal.

Jason
    Auto-Cycle PC

Comment

also how do you verify cure temp
      when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
      G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

I sandblasted with aluminum oxide from northern tool. These are 4" aluminum disk about 1/8" thick. I have also tried this on steel. I then wash with east wood metal wash. Let air dry for 1 hour.

Then coat with orange powder and put in the oven.
        www.aapowdercoating.net

Comment

Originally posted by pickleboy
          also how do you verify cure temp
          the oven has a nice digital temp gauge mounted on it. The oven is 6' tall x 3' wide x 3' deep. Has 4 regular oven elements in the bottom. NO FANS
          www.aapowdercoating.net

Comment

The only time I get orange peel is when I severely overload the powder on the part.

Comment

Originally posted by AAPowderCoating
              the oven has a nice digital temp gauge mounted on it. The oven is 6' tall x 3' wide x 3' deep. Has 4 regular oven elements in the bottom. NO FANS
              You not only need to verify oven temp but the part must be at cure temp before you start counting down the cure time. I use a hand held infrared thermometer.

Try cleaning the part with brake cleaner (the Oriley brand works great) prior to powder coating it. I was doing some new cast aluminum housings a few weeks back and having serious problems with what looked like orange peel / outgas bubbles I was convinced I did not have a cleaning issue. After showing the part to my powder rep he told me the parts were powdered and still had some kind of contamination on them. I took his advice and cleaned the parts the same way I normally do then the final step was to spray the part down with the brake cleaner. Everyone I have done since then has turned out perfect with not even one bubble.

Jason
              Auto-Cycle PC

Comment

Brake clean does work good. Then a final blow off with compressed air right before shooting.

But, just get the cheapest can of brake cleaner you can. If you can find the $.99 stuff... get it.

Comment

I will try the brake cleaner and see what happens.
                  www.aapowdercoating.net

Comment

brake cleaner ?
                    then blow with air ?
                    you outgas before or after brake cleaner ?
                    this is nice to know

Comment

Depends on the part. I dont outgas very much. Unless it is an engine part that was in contact with engine oil a lot.

wipe down with cleaner
                      bead blast
                      blast with air to get dust off
                      blast with parts cleaner/brake clean/carb clean whatever is cheapest
                      blast with compressed air
                      powder coat

Excellent results everytime.

Comment

I have used brake cleaner before and after outgassing with no problems. Do not use Carburator cleaner because it containes silicone in some brands. Spray on blow down but do not touch the part with your bare hands. Let us know if this helps!!

Jason

Comment

Will do. Thanks for all the help. I'm a newb at this and want to get the process down so I can make a few dollars on the side. Just gonna focus on friends parts and friends of friends type of thing.

I just want it to look as good as possible and right now I'm not happy with it, so I don't think anyone would be willing to spend a penny on it.
                          www.aapowdercoating.net

Comment

Originally posted by AAPowderCoating
                            Will do. Thanks for all the help. I'm a newb at this and want to get the process down so I can make a few dollars on the side. Just gonna focus on friends parts and friends of friends type of thing.

I just want it to look as good as possible and right now I'm not happy with it, so I don't think anyone would be willing to spend a penny on it.
                            That's the way it starts before long you will be a powder addict in denial like the rest of us.

Jason
                            Auto-Cycle PC

Comment

I use strictly brake cleaner, never had a problem since
                              mach
                              TSA Custom Metal Finishes
                              Live fast, Die sideways

Comment

Working...
                              X