Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Business owners: how do you handle customers bringing you items?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business owners: how do you handle customers bringing you items?

My question is this:

I will be starting to powder coat for others as a business in the next couple months or so. I work a day job normally until 6pm. I'm trying to figure out how I can go about getting a hold of items from customers to coat. I would like to not have every customer dropping by my shop and seeing it, as it may give them the idea to do the same and start a competing business.

So guys who operate small businesses part-time powder coating and still maintain a full time job, how do you handle it? I would love to hear from others on how they handle this. I need to set-up some type of drop-off program, just looking for others approaches to tailor my own system. The other issue is I would need to see the items condition and everything before I could even tell customers if I could coat the item and give a price quote. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

Re: Business owners: how do you handle customers bringing you items?

If you are doing specific types of part (motorcycle, auto, furniture, etc.) perhaps you can work with a local business specializing in that industry and provide PC services to them. Set prices for them, give them a cut, and have people drop off parts with them during the week and do a weekly pickup and dropoff. They will be able to explain to customers what can and can't be done and give price estimates. Local shops are always interested in providing additional services to thier customers even if they don't make much money, so you should be able to find shops willing to work with you. Same goes for chrome plating, etc.

Comment

most of my work so far is from people at work or the local bar, (Hot rodder heaven) So I pick most of mine up. The people that have dropped things off usually don't come into the basement. I do ceramic coating too, & the way I see it, the more equipment you have in your shop, the more difficult it "appears" to be LOL! I really don't worry about competing businesses. If you do a good job, they will come!
      good luck!
      mach
      TSA Custom Metal Finishes
      Live fast, Die sideways

Comment

BINGO!!!!!!

If you do a good job, they will come!
        --
        Mike Caswell
        Caswell Inc
        http://www.caswellplating.com
        Need Support? Visit our online support section at http://support.caswellplating.com

Comment

Why do yoy have to show them your setup when they drop of the parts?

Just say your not ready for demonstrations or tours. Be friendly about it though.

Comment

I just hooked up with a local bike shop and i pick the parts up from him, i cut him in and i don't even deal with the bike owner.
            Jeff B.
            Instructions for riding a Warrior: 1) sit on bike, 2) start bike and idle till warm, 3) pull in clutch and put in gear, 4) release clutch and rip on the throttle, 5) {VERY IMPORTANT!!} HOLD THE F*** ON!!!, 6) Enjoy!! Side effects may include whiplash, wrinkle free skin, and an evil smile resembling the "Joker".

Comment

Yeah,

I wish my local bike shop did that. I asked him where I could get powdercoating done and he didnt know off hand. If I could drop off/pick up from him, that would be AWESOME!!!!!

BTW, Im looking for a powder coater, ship via FedEx or whatever you prefer...

Hmmmm, when I ace this anodizing, Ill see if he wants a cut..

Comment

How much do you cut in the bike shop or custom car shop? How much do you give them? Also, how do you advertise your service in their shop?

Jason

Comment

Having folks drop stuff off is the hard issue, when you work at this part time it works to there advantage as you are in your shop at nighht when they are home from work.
                  So here is how I did this when I started out.
                  I had a 3 car detatched garage that was used for my shop, took 1 bay by the door and closed it off so it was public access. Then on the Shop door I had a sign hanging that read Due to Ins reasons non employees are not allowed past this point.
                  If all you have it a 2 garage set up you can do the same but make the room 10X10 say or just a small drop off room. Worked for me for about 2 years now my shop has grown to 100 X 240 but I also restore old cars and build Jeeps.. So my old shop is now a paint booth with a down draft system...

Jim S...
                  Jim Shuster
                  www.backyardpowdercoating.com Sold.....
                  www.chrissys68mustang.com Hobbie
                  www.photogserver.net Web Hosting.

Comment

Originally posted by Helf8704
                    How much do you cut in the bike shop or custom car shop? How much do you give them? Also, how do you advertise your service in their shop?

Jason
                    I charge him about 10-15% less i really don't care what his markup is as long as the customer is happy and i get paid.
                    Jeff B.
                    Instructions for riding a Warrior: 1) sit on bike, 2) start bike and idle till warm, 3) pull in clutch and put in gear, 4) release clutch and rip on the throttle, 5) {VERY IMPORTANT!!} HOLD THE F*** ON!!!, 6) Enjoy!! Side effects may include whiplash, wrinkle free skin, and an evil smile resembling the "Joker".

Comment

Working...
                    X