coating bare metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coating bare metal?

I coated a 2x4 rectangular tubing bumper last night. The person brought it to me already sanded, but he used sanding disc in his grinder to do it. It looked good as bare metal so I just wiped it down good and coated it. When I took it out of the oven you can see the grinding disc marks really bad.

I want it so that you cannot see the sanding disc marks, which of these two ways would be the best to do? I know either way is going to be time consuming, but I want this to look good for advertising, this guy knows alot of people.

So my question is this:

1. Should I strip it down to bare metal and sandblast and then coat it?

2. Should I sandblast the coating that I put on last night and then coat over it?

Which one will hide the sanding disc marks the best?

In the future should I just sandblast every part that comes to me no matter what

Again, thanks for all the help guys. I was about ready to sell this stuff and throw my hands in the air, but now that I have my first official customer I'm very excited again. Hoping this turns into a full time job in the next year or so.
    www.aapowdercoating.net

Re: coating bare metal?

hey bro say hellow to lewisville for me. when i was in grade school i lived there. as for your bumper there may be a way to save the work you have already done. you can sand it down with 220 grit to scuff the finish. then wipe it down with a cleaner, then warm it up to between 150-180 degrees. pull it out and shoot hot then fully cure. this way the first coat acts like primer to fill the scratches.
    when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
    G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

thanks pickle, i'll say hi to lewisville for you.

so you are saying just use regular sand paper 220 grit, should I go in circular motion or just straight lines?
      www.aapowdercoating.net

Comment

Originally posted by AAPowderCoating
        so you are saying just use regular sand paper 220 grit, should I go in circular motion or just straight lines?
        i would use light pressure and circle pattern. i cant guarantee it will work but if it does not then you were going to strip it anyway. if it does then you are much farther along. as for your original question about blasting every part that comes in, if it were me i would say yes unless you make clear to the customer that if they do the prep you can't guarantee the results. this will discourage them from half a$$ prep
        when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
        G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

Working...
        X