Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extreme Chrome with Clear Coat How to...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Extreme Chrome with Clear Coat How to...

well i just got donw doing a few parts,
    and sprayed the Extreme chrome, cured at 395, for 15 min, let cool then sprayed a thicker coat of clear then cured for 20 min,pulled it out and the sweet chrome had turned in to a mirror silver or the like,
    should i make sure i fully cure the 1st coat? what did i do wrong any input would be great
    thanks,
    Jesse

Comment

With the chrome powders you must fully cure the chrome powder before the clear top coat. As Jim stated in the first post let the extreme chrome cool all the way down to room temperature the coat with clear. I have done this with super chrome and exterme chrome with great results. The silver effect is definately from under cure I have done the same thing myself.

JASON

Comment

cool, thanks, i am going to retry it now, i will post some pic if any one wants,
        well lets see if it turns out right this time

Comment

Does any one clear work better than another?

Comment

Ok, I got my pound each of Xtreme and Super Clear in the mail today and am ready to shoot some parts. However, when I read the write-up by Hvac36, it says "Now Cure at 375 for 30 mins,", but the can of Xtreme says 392 for 30 min. If I bake at 375, will it cure or is this reduced temp part of the "Magic" to prevent the clouding and greying?
            Just read the can of clear and it also says 392 for 30. So.... heat the Xtreme back to 150, coat, and then to "the required time" for clear? 392 or 375? Doh!!! (scratching head)

BTW thanks for the write-up Hvac36, I'm sure it has helped many get the results they wanted! I, on the other hand, am easily confused and slow!!!

Later

Comment

Question regarding the clear.

Shot my son's chrome air cleaner with Psycho Lime Green, and there were "bumps" in various places, almost like there was some dirt trapped on the cleaner. I scrubbed the **** out of it and rubbed it down with de-natured alcohol before I shot it.

Next step was to apply Caswell's 120% super high gloss.............again, looks like there was dirt on the cover. Some parts of the clear coated beautifully, in many other places, this appearance of dirt........

Maybe I shot the green / clear too thick?

Comment

Question regarding the clear.

Shot my son's chrome air cleaner with Psycho Lime Green, and there were "bumps" in various places, almost like there was some dirt trapped on the cleaner. I scrubbed the **** out of it and rubbed it down with de-natured alcohol before I shot it.

Next step was to apply Caswell's 120% super high gloss.............again, looks like there was dirt on the cover. Some parts of the clear coated beautifully, in many other places, this appearance of dirt........

Maybe I shot the green / clear too thick?

Comment

I tried using the extreme chrome on a steel rim and when I coated the high gloss clear, it did not go flat, but melted into little blobs. I baked it at 400degrees for 20 minutes (checked the temp with an infared thermometer) Any ideas what I did wrong?

Russ

Comment

Got any pics?

Comment

Originally posted by wrascal
                      I tried using the extreme chrome on a steel rim and when I coated the high gloss clear, it did not go flat, but melted into little blobs. I baked it at 400degrees for 20 minutes (checked the temp with an infared thermometer) Any ideas what I did wrong?

Russ
                      I ran into something similar to this a couple of weeks ago. It was on steel wheels and they has a build up of silicone on them and the brake cleaner will not remove silicone.

Jason

Comment

I have never found brake cleaner to be a reliable cleaning agent. I only use acetone with outstanding results!
                        Mike & Johnny
                        Sho Me Coatings

Comment

which of the 3 chromes look the best?
                          Last edited by donafams; 08-04-2007, 02:42 PM.

Comment

After reading this post I learned about what happens to the xtreme chrome if you don't clear it. Well I coated my intake two weeks ago (without clear)....can I still put the clear on it? Such as heating it to 150 then spray clear and cook again? Wish I knew you had to clear this stuff to begin with.

Comment

I'd try heating to 250-300 to remelt the Alum particles, Once it all looks shiny again, clear when part has cooled below 200
                              Dan Pesonen
                              Bandit Powder Coat <<From Powder to Perfection>>
                              Forest Grove, BC Canada

Personal motto:
                              "If it ain't broke, modify somethin till it is"

Comment

Thanks for the break down, My "chrome" needs to be more chrome

Comment

Working...
                                X