Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extreme Chrome with Clear Coat How to...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Extreme Chrome with Clear Coat How to...

Hey guys. I followed the instructions above. I did my running boards for my bike. I thought it was going to look good. Before the clear coat it was very close to chrome. After the clear coat it was still ok but no where near the reflection prier to the clear coat.

Is this normal? do you loose some of the shine with the clear coat?

Thanks

Comment

Yes that is normal.

Comment

Originally posted by Harleydad View Post
        Yes that is normal.
        Thanks
        But that really sucks. I tried some 2 part clear epoxy on a piece.
        It takes 4 hours to dry to the touch but I didn't loose any of the shine.
        I'm thinking this may have a better out come for what I'm looking for.

Has anyone ever tried something else to clear it with?

Thanks

Comment

There are single stage chromes that they say don't require a clear, although I'd clear it any way. Here a couple pics to check out, two different chromes. They're on page 7, post #'s 68-71.
          http://forum.eastwoodco.com/showthread.php?t=1939

Comment

That's some nice work. It looks a lot like polished aluminum with a clear coat.
            After seeing the Xtreme without the clear. It would be nice to keep it like that. How does it stand up to weather and what not, without the clear?

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by DHACK666 View Post
              That's some nice work. It looks a lot like polished aluminum with a clear coat.
              After seeing the Xtreme without the clear. It would be nice to keep it like that. How does it stand up to weather and what not, without the clear?

Thanks again
              It will oxidize over time.

Comment

i know i'm bringing it back, but i wanted to post my results. i learned a few techniques that i thought may help some people. i wont bore people with the intricasies until asked, but what do you think?

extreme chrome and clear coat

Comment

Comment

Comment

That looks pretty dang good.

Comment

thank you!! someone mentioned earlier about using wet black as a base coat under the chrome. I will be experimenting with that very soon. stay tuned!

Comment

Clear powder over Chrome Plate!

Can you apply clear coat powder over actual chrome plate to provide a protective sealer for the plating?

Comment

Re: Clear powder over Chrome Plate!

Originally posted by 3eagles View Post
                            Can you apply clear coat powder over actual chrome plate to provide a protective sealer for the plating?
                            If the chrome holds up to the cure temps. People clear all sorts of things to avoid having to continually polish them.

Comment

I never considered a problem with chrome plate being heated in an oven? I have some under hood parts like heater ducts and housings I wanted to try. They aren't the best chrome but clean up nicely. The have a real tendancy to get rust spots quickly. I was hoping if I cleaned them up good and clear coated them they would stay chrome longer without polishing.

Another thing I've seen reading this post is that reading the oven temp only appears to be a mistake. Do I have to invest in a IR thermometer to make sure the part temps are right? Thanks, Chuck in NH

Comment

Originally posted by 3eagles View Post
                                I never considered a problem with chrome plate being heated in an oven? I have some under hood parts like heater ducts and housings I wanted to try. They aren't the best chrome but clean up nicely. The have a real tendancy to get rust spots quickly. I was hoping if I cleaned them up good and clear coated them they would stay chrome longer without polishing.

Another thing I've seen reading this post is that reading the oven temp only appears to be a mistake. Do I have to invest in a IR thermometer to make sure the part temps are right? Thanks, Chuck in NH
                                In my opinion if they have rust spots, it's not going to work and an I.R. temp gun is must have.

Comment

Working...
                                X