• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pickleboy
    replied
    Re: Did I lie

Originally posted by mikekozura
    It's not the Aircraft remover. It's Mar-hyde Tal-stripe paint remover extra strength.
    actually this is aircraft grade stripper also. the same ingredients. if used in the gel form from a gallon jug it is only slightly slower than the other brand and i like the thicker gel as it sticks better. as with both, the key is to keep it wet. coat the wheel and cover with a big garbage bag.

Leave a comment:

• CaptainChauncy
    replied

I just did a wheel set off of a crf450 this week. I blasted the coating off and then powdercoated the wheel. I blast the coating off of all the wheels I powdercoat.

Kyle

Leave a comment:

• mikekozura
    replied

Thanks for all your help Jim (and everyone) I called and talked to the dude. He said he's gotten them anodized and had no problem. I told him thats cool.

I'm just doing this to try to pay for my gun and oven. And something to do while I'm laid off. Really if you add up all the things I did on my boys race quad I'm even now. But I guess the idea is to get everything paid for.

Thanks again for all the help.
    Last edited by mikekozura; 02-18-2006, 09:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• hvac36
    replied

Do you think that stuff will do it. And what about coating over whats on it.
    I would worry about coating over it as the coating is a painted on surface.
    I powdered a set of triple trees for a friend( thank god) and when they left here I could not scratch the surface. Now fast forward 2 weeks, the under coating ( or clear coating started to fail) started to peel and my Nice shiney black powder peeled with it.. Again thank god it was a friend that I could redo in a hurry and not a paying client that lived across country...

Jim S...

Leave a comment:

• mikekozura
    replied

Do you think that stuff will do it. And what about coating over whats on it.

Leave a comment:

• hvac36
    replied

OK this is the stuff I tried, and still no good. I checked out D.I.D's web site (thanks unorthodoxcreations) Did't find anything out but e-mail them. Will see if they get back to me. What do you think would happen if I coat over this coating? The test wheel seemed to stick pretty well. But I don't want to do something thats not right.
    This is what you need not the spray on stuff..

Jim S..
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• mikekozura
    replied

OK this is the stuff I tried, and still no good. I checked out D.I.D's web site (thanks unorthodoxcreations) Did't find anything out but e-mail them. Will see if they get back to me. What do you think would happen if I coat over this coating? The test wheel seemed to stick pretty well. But I don't want to do something thats not right.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• hvac36
    replied

It's not the Aircraft remover. It's Mar-hyde Tal-stripe paint remover extra strength. The wheels are off a new Honda 450 dirt bike and say D.I.D Japan on them. I looked on Honda's web page for the [email protected] of it to see if it said something like clear anodized wheels or something. But I can't find anything.

My old lady going to pick me up a can of the Aircraft on her way home from work and I'll try that. Thanks
    Remember there are 2 Versions of the Aircraft, The first being the good stuff the second being one called Low Odor which most autoparts store carry. I've only found the good stuff at bodyshop supply house's...

Jim S...

Leave a comment:

• UnorthodoxCreations
    replied

I dont know if this will help any.

http://www.did-daido.co.jp/en/index002.html

Leave a comment:

• mikekozura
    replied

It's not the Aircraft remover. It's Mar-hyde Tal-stripe paint remover extra strength. The wheels are off a new Honda 450 dirt bike and say D.I.D Japan on them. I looked on Honda's web page for the [email protected] of it to see if it said something like clear anodized wheels or something. But I can't find anything.

My old lady going to pick me up a can of the Aircraft on her way home from work and I'll try that. Thanks
    Last edited by mikekozura; 02-18-2006, 12:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• hvac36
    replied

OK paint stripper did't touch it. I guess it needs glass beaded. What do you think it is?
    What kind of paint stripper? Was it Aircraft remover? or what? Some removers will not touch some of teh clear coats. Find out where the person bought the wheels, contact them and ask them what the clear coat is they used. This will help you in using the right stripper...

Jim S...

Leave a comment:

• mikekozura
    replied

OK paint stripper did't touch it. I guess it needs glass beaded. What do you think it is?

Leave a comment:

• pickleboy
    replied

try spraying them down with easy off oven cleaner and let it set for about 5-10 minutes. then wipe a small area off and try the meter again. it it reads the rince and it should br ready to prep for powder. if not the let set a little longer and retry. if after 1/2 hr this does nothing then you may need to glass bead blast, or try paint stripper.

Leave a comment:

• mikekozura
    replied

Ok there coated. What ever it is acetone or heat don't touch it. The guy was trying to scratch the first wheel with a quarter and could't get it to mark and was happy with it. So powder stuck to it pretty good. What should I do with these two there the ones going on the bike. I can't get a reading at all until I scratched the inside of the wheel with a file. Man I need to find out what to do I have another guy who whats wheels like this done. Help

Leave a comment:

• sdold
    replied

If they had a clear coat, wouldn't acetone soften it and make it sticky, so that you'd notice it? Or is the stuff they clear coat with resistant to acetone? I've never wiped acetone on powder coat, so I don't know what happens.

If an aluminum part is clear alodined, the top surface might show a high resistance. That's the case with some radio racks we bought, you have to dig into the surface a little bit to get conductivity. I don't know if they alodine wheels, though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X