Aluminum Oxide or Black Beauty media?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum Oxide or Black Beauty media?

Just built a cabinet and need to get some media, what would you all recommend.
    mostly i use it for light paint, rust removal for powdercoating. aluminum and steel parts will be used in this cabinet.
    i have been reading here about glass bead being bad for aluminum.

thanks
    Aluminum Oxide
    37.50%
    Black Beauty
    25.00%
    Glass Bead
    37.50%
    Last edited by antz01ta; 02-22-2006, 12:05 PM.

Re: Aluminum Oxide or Black Beauty media?

anybody?

Comment

I use Black Beauty but mainly because of the prive difference. I can get 100 lb of BB for 10.00 compared to 24.00 for 50 lb of Alum Oxide. I have used Alum Oxide and it much more agressive than BB.

Jason

Comment

black beauty is cheap and a good all around media. if you are looking to do ceramic i would recommend the alum. oxide. either way go with a medium grit. coarse grit on either will raise a large profile that may have to be knocked down with sandpaper before powder.
        when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
        G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

The alum oxide would probably be cheaper in the long run because it can be recycled more than Black Beauty. It also is less dusty.
          Joe

Comment

I use aluminum oxide, medium grit but will be going to a finer mesh. One thing to keep in mind is that when you use AO you will go through wearable parts on you blast cabinet at a much faster rate. I ugraded from ceramic tips to carbide tips and replace the air jet more often. Some shops also mix medium glass beed in with medium AO to lower the profile but keep the cutting power of the medium AO.

Comment

Use Both, prefer Aluminum Oxide. But its more expensive.

Comment

Working...
              X