old powder???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old powder???

I've been give several unopened 50 lbs. bags of discontinued colors of powder by a company. The powder appears to be unhurt but I'm sure that it has been stored for a while. I'm going to try some out tommorrow to see how it works but my question is on possible long term problems from old powder. Brittleness? Poor adhesion? Color retention? Other?

Re: old powder

72 views and no replies? I guess there are no problems with old powder.

Comment

I haven't done PC long enough to have powder that old. From what I've read the problems in powder being aged are the chemicals that promote bonding in the powder do not work as they are designed to and a few other problems related to chemical breakdown. My own thought on it is that if you try it on a part and it works like fresh powder as far as flow out, shine and color it should be alright. Most problems are caused by method of storage. Maybe HVAC36 has better info due to his higher experience level.

Comment

i am no powder expert either but would tend to agree with sswee on this. if the powder was properly stored in climate controlled enviroment it should last for some time. i would ay shoot a part fully cure and do some impact tests if it holds up use it if not then scrap it.
        when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
        G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

Its really hard to say, how was the powder stored? where was it stored? with out knowing this it really is a **** shoot.. I would test and see how well it coats and stands up to abuse... Lance any idea?

Jim S..
          Jim Shuster
          www.backyardpowdercoating.com Sold.....
          www.chrissys68mustang.com Hobbie
          www.photogserver.net Web Hosting.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. As for storage, it was stored in a corner of a machine shop where I'm sure that the climate was not always controlled. At least not on the weekends/holidays. I did test two of the powders. One is Alert Red but I have no idea as to what type of powder it is. I cured it at 375 for 20 min. It has a satin look with very tight, almost dry looking peel as if I didn't put enough material on, but I have no doubt that I did. The other powder I tried is satin black epoxy. It too had a slight bit of texture but overall looks really good. Both powders flowed out within 3 or 4 min. @ 375 and are very impact resistant (several drops onto the concrete). No excessive chipping, only the areas that actually marred the aluminum. Also very scratch resistant. The only bad part is the texture (especially the red) but I have never used any epoxy before to compare it to. Does epoxy normally flow out as well as TGIC or urethane?

Comment

Working...
            X