Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slots and JB Weld?

Hello,
    I plan on making a cone/spike next week (spring break) for my motorcycle and i have a couple questions about. I plan on cutting slots on 4 sides around 1/8" wide. Will powdercoating the piece fill in the slots? I plan on having it coated in super chrome then transparent red over that (hopefully someone here can do the coating for me).
    My other questions is about JB Weld. Can powder still stick to this? i plan on using it on the top of my cone since welding it would be hard since there is 8 sides.

Pictures of prototype cone done last summer. The one i will be making will look around the same but hopefully alot more symetrical.
    http://community.webshots.com/album/400949967kzTmzK

Thanks, Luke

Re: Slots and JB Weld?

No the powder will not fill the 1/8" slots. I think you'll be ok with the JB Weld but not 100% sure. Someone else here can tell us about the JB for sure. SS

Comment

the jb weld will hold powder but make sure you use the original not the quick. the only concern i would have on this project is will there be enough airflow with 1/8" slots to feed that big twin. as for welding if you have access to a tig machine or know of someone that does i would tig it and use the jb weld only for smoothing out and fill.
      when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
      G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

the intake is just for show, my air filters are under the tank. The slots are because i want to put some red LEDs on the inside so it glows at night. I only plan on using JB weld for the very top of the cone, maybe an inch down at max, the rest will be welded.
        Luke

Comment

i know some of you here do powder coating for others. Around how much would the cone cost with a super chrome base with trans. red over that?

Thanks, Luke

Comment

what are the finished dimensions of the part. and do you want a clear coat over the trans red.

Comment

do you need to put a clear over trans red? i heard before that you didnt because it basically was a top coat. The dimensions are about 4 1/2" wide at the base and around 7 1/2" tall.
              Luke

Comment

no the trans red is a top coat but some like to clear just for added protection. is the cone separate from the pie that is 90 degrees and the mount plate or will that have to be masked off for the red?

Comment

the cone is seperate from the elbow and bracket. The cone screws onto the backplate which is welded to the one side of the elbow. (In the picture, the silver part is all one piece, as is the red piece).

Comment

price wise if the part is clean being new. it would only need blasted cleanup and coat. for that it would be about $30.00 for 2 coats, chrome and trans red. that is for the powder work not including freight here and back.

Comment

alright that doesnt sound too bad at all and i think i doing this will be much better then spray painting it again.
                      Is doing a clear coat over top going to protect it much more or even give it more depth? How much would a clear coat over top run up the cost? I'm still alittle worried that too many coats of powder will make my slots really thin which i dont want. I think once i actually make the piece i'll feel better about that.
                      Luke

Comment

i have another question. does the trans red come out with a orange tint to it at all? i really want this piece to be a nice shiny red with no orange tint on it.
                        Luke

Comment

the clear would be a preferance thing it may cause a build up in the slots to shoot 3 coats so th 2 will be best. trans red is a good top coat and if it is waxed just like any other finish it will be fine. as for the tint i cant say for sure i have never shot trans red i have a powder from tiger drylac that is a candy apple red that os nice and deep red but can get the trans red if that is the color you are lookin for. search the colors and see if there is an actual picture of trans red and see what you think.

Comment

thanks for all your help. As time gets closer for me to sending the part out i'll contact you. Maybe the candy red you have might be the way to go with the color. Do you have any pictures of a part with it?

Comment

i am about to shoot a new part for a budy and will take pictures of it. it is on polished aluminum so it may not be true color but if your part is steel i will shoot a piece of steel over super chrome and post for you to decide.

Comment

Working...
                              X