12V power source for ACQ908???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12V power source for ACQ908???

I just bought the starter kit and now need to find a 12V power source for the compressor.

What are my options?
    I read that I can use a car battery... but what does that entail? Just a pair of jumper cables?

I would really rather not use this method. Im assuming there is something on the market for this...

Any help would be appreciated.

With graitude,

Dennis Mollan
    www.ProTonePedals.com

Re: 12V power source for ACQ908

First of all let me be the first to welcome you to the sight. Just post your questions theres a lot of cool people that will help you they helped me. Go to Radio shack for a powder supply.
    Last edited by mikekozura; 03-09-2006, 09:49 PM.

Comment

I don't know about this , but what about a 110 to 12v outlet converter
      http://cgi.ebay.com/MiNi-110V-To-12V...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

you need to see how many amps the compressor draws the powder supples from Radio shack will work.
        go to the store and tell the dude what you want to do.
        http://www.radioshack.com/search/ind...power%20supply
        Last edited by mikekozura; 03-09-2006, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Thanls for the tips guys! Sadly enough the compressor that ships with the starter kit hasnt got a car lighter jack on the end, its got a couple of bare wires hanging off of it ready to be attached to something... rather discouraging I must say.
          I was figuring that since the unit was designed to provide air to fish tanks that there would be an off the shelf power source that wouldnt require bunch of engineering on my part or look like a mad scientists lab experiment.

Maybe someone from Caswell will chime in with a suggestion?

Thanks again!

Dennis

Comment

This is the one you need you can hook wires to the lower left. We use this one to power up some stuff on kyle's trail set.
            Attached Files

Comment

I think the 120 to 12 volt power converter is the best idea, but here is another... Go buy one of those $29 jump packs they sell. They are made to jump start your car but also work as a power supply. I picked up a Coleman brand one at Pep-Boys. It would run the compressor for a long time, plus you could keep the jump pack plugged in recharging at the same time.
              Joe

Comment

Good plan. I figured I could use something like the jump pack.

Thanks for the input guys- I'll follow up and let you know what happens.

Take care!
                Dennis

Comment

Yea a 3amp 13.8 volt power supply is about 40 bucks. If I remember wright I caught mine on sale. I guess both will work that pump should not draw many amps.

Comment

I was hoping to spend as little as possible to get it powered. Im still in the 'fact finding' portion of my powder coat journey.

Dennis

Comment

Just use a car battery charger.
                      --
                      Lance Caswell
                      Caswell Inc
                      http://www.caswellplating.com
                      Need Support? Visit our online support section at http://support.caswellplating.com

Please support the moderators on our site by leaving reputation for their helpful posts. Read more here.

Comment

Yeah I jusy went out and bought one... my hesitation with that is that there are so many on the market... fast charging, slow trickle... blah blah blah which one would work best if at all... so I found a nice one for $30 that powers it. Tomorrow I'll test it all out.
                        I have a feeling I'll be dumping that compressor pretty soon though.How am I supposed to clean the unit to mfgr specs (clearing it with 80-100PSI) if this thing puts out 10 PSI? Its a real let down to know what I paid for it when for just a few dollars more I can get so much more in a compressor from Harbor Freight and the like...
                        Oh well, live and learn.

Thanks for the replies!

Dennis

Comment

I here you there. I just got my Caswell kit in. Everything looks killer, but I was a little dissapointed with the compressor that came with it. I too will most likely be ditching the compressor for a better one.

Comment

Well I did my first couple pieces, they came out OK but the lack of pressure made for a tough time... the powder just sort of fell out of the tip rather than blowing... so I will be getting a better compressor.

I think I'll make a call to Caswells customer service about this silly compressor... yes it works, but its damn inadequate.

Comment

Working...
                            X