Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Applying Clear Coat

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Applying Clear Coat

    what is the best way to apply a clear coat over a color? Doesn't this require a bare spot to get a good ground? Thanks. Casey
    Last edited by lcaswell; 03-15-2006, 09:37 PM. Reason: Posted in wrong thread

  • #2
    Re: Applying Clear Coat

    The 150 degree rule always works for me. Get your self a laser thermometer. Bake base coat as per the cure schedule. Remove part let cool to 150 or so them shot the top coat weather its a candy color or clear. What kind of gun are you using ? if you're one of us hobby gun guys its a pain but it can be done like I told the other dude read practice and ask questions on here e-mail me any time.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Applying Clear Coat

      Originally posted by mikekozura
      The 150 degree rule always works for me. Get your self a laser thermometer. Bake base coat as per the cure schedule. Remove part let cool to 150 or so them shot the top coat weather its a candy color or clear. What kind of gun are you using ? if you're one of us hobby gun guys its a pain but it can be done like I told the other dude read practice and ask questions on here e-mail me any time.
      I always thought it was a rule of thumb to bake the base coat at 1/2 the cure cycle then bake the top coat at full cure cycle to make sure no "over baking" occurs on the base coat?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Applying Clear Coat

        I have one of the cheapo guns bought through harbor freight.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Applying Clear Coat

          Originally posted by callmej75
          I always thought it was a rule of thumb to bake the base coat at 1/2 the cure cycle then bake the top coat at full cure cycle to make sure no "over baking" occurs on the base coat?
          I've heard that you know I've read so much on here. I guess you just have to figure out whats best for you. If it screws up don't do it that way no more. LOL LOL

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Applying Clear Coat

            Originally posted by mikekozura
            I've heard that you know I've read so much on here. I guess you just have to figure out whats best for you. If it screws up don't do it that way no more. LOL LOL
            very true....

            Comment

            Working...
            X