applying clear coat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• applying clear coat?

Ok heres the deal, I have a hobby gun. Nothing special but it works. Im having a really hard time getting the clear coat to hang on a part. When I try to apply the clear it will not go on even, and it will not attatch to the part being sprayed. Can anyone offer some suggestions ? also one other problem im having is getting the coat to come out even. My gun seems to hold powder then dump a big splotch on the part ? any ideas what i have done wrong? air pressure ? or what ?

Thanks for the help.

JHF

Re: applying clear coat?

Are you spraying clear on a fresh part, or already PC'ed part??

Is it possible that the powder could be moist? I seem to remember reading that when powder sits and collects moisture, it will clump together and not hold a charge. Please correct me if i'm wrong
    59 Volvo PV544
    87 Shelby CSX #239
    88 Shelby CSXT #707
    88 Shelby CSXT #745
    87 Mustang LX
    92 Mustang GT
    www.jamperformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by ShelbyCSXT
      Are you spraying clear on a fresh part, or already PC'ed part??

Is it possible that the powder could be moist? I seem to remember reading that when powder sits and collects moisture, it will clump together and not hold a charge. Please correct me if i'm wrong

Its an already PCed part, the powder is stored in a dry place, and in a container that is sealed. maybe i should try a new dry place though ?

Comment

Put the part back in the oven and warm it up to about 150f then shoot the clear it should stick fine. Make sure and coat the thinner areas first because they will cool down faster.

Jason
        www.autocyclepc.com

Comment

As cdaeme said, reheat the part and shoot it with the clear. You'll esentially be melting the clear on contact so that it'll stick. Remember to practice on something unimportant
          59 Volvo PV544
          87 Shelby CSX #239
          88 Shelby CSXT #707
          88 Shelby CSXT #745
          87 Mustang LX
          92 Mustang GT
          www.jamperformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by ShelbyCSXT
            As cdaeme said, reheat the part and shoot it with the clear. You'll esentially be melting the clear on contact so that it'll stick. Remember to practice on something unimportant

I use coke cans for practice and to see what a particular color will come out as.

JHF

Comment

Originally posted by JHFGSX9D
              I use coke cans for practice and to see what a particular color will come out as.

JHF

that is a great idea. I am always looking around for stuff to test out on.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson
                that is a great idea. I am always looking around for stuff to test out on.
                +1 awesome idea!
                59 Volvo PV544
                87 Shelby CSX #239
                88 Shelby CSXT #707
                88 Shelby CSXT #745
                87 Mustang LX
                92 Mustang GT
                www.jamperformance.com

Comment

Oooo yes the 150 rule best thing I ever started doing with top coats. Well I do it with base coats to. I shoot everything hot now base or top coats. It's the only way to get a thick coat with a hobby gun. [email protected] I got Black to teardrop off an edge on these fork sliders. The pics suck but there's no orange peel and they look sweet except for the tear drop. I do this [email protected] in my cellar if I don't shoot hot I get [email protected] every where I'm going to build a booth but always shoot hot.

Comment

Working...
                  X