first time powdering today NOW ???????S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first time powdering today NOW ???????S

hi guys, i purchased a low cost powder machine and today was my first time powder coating with it. i had a couple problems, nothing major, but i have some questions and hope you guys can help.

1 the powder was really erratic, sometimes none or hardly any would come out, other times when you pulled the trigger it would pour out the end, what am i doing wrong?

2 if i have polished aluminum or SS do i have to do anything to it besides cleaning it to get it to adhere properly? if you scuff it and clear it do you lose the polish effect?

3 it didnt seem to me that the powder was flowing to the part too well, is it supposed to be noticeable or do you normally lose twice as much powder as gets on the piece?

thanks in advance, will be doing more tomorrow.

Re: first time powdering today NOW ?S

anyone? couple duse some help.

also what is the best way to get the powder to stick to the part on a second coat? had a few issues there also.

Comment

upersleder:
      1. This happens alot with the hobby guns. I find tapping the bottles while shooting helps.

2.Yep just clean it good and shoot it. For translucent colors that is. Regular solid colors should be scotchbrited and then coated.

3.Check your ground, also check the transformer unit to make sure it is working.

Good luck.
      Ken

Comment

Originally posted by upersleder
        hi guys, i purchased a low cost powder machine and today was my first time powder coating with it. i had a couple problems, nothing major, but i have some questions and hope you guys can help.

1 the powder was really erratic, sometimes none or hardly any would come out, other times when you pulled the trigger it would pour out the end, what am i doing wrong?
        Try shaking the cup really good to "fluff" the powder, or get the clumps out.

2 if i have polished aluminum or SS do i have to do anything to it besides cleaning it to get it to adhere properly? if you scuff it and clear it do you lose the polish effect?
        Cast Aluminum needs to be outgassed, or heated to just above cure temp first. Extruded aluminum I shoot just like any other metal & never had a problem, though more experienced coaters may differ. If you're shooting translucent or transparent colors or clear, yes you will lose the polish effect if you scuff it. I give a light scuff for solid colors.
        3 it didnt seem to me that the powder was flowing to the part too well, is it supposed to be noticeable or do you normally lose twice as much powder as gets on the piece?
        Check your ground.
        thanks in advance, will be doing more tomorrow.

Hope this helps, good luck! & welcome to the forum!
        mach

BTW, do I take your nick as upper peninsula sledder? I'm a lower peninsula sledder!
        TSA Custom Metal Finishes
        Live fast, Die sideways

Comment

hope this helps
          1 = use 20 PSI going to the gun so that when you pull the trigger you get around 15 psi , adjust the bottom plastic screw till you get the right amount of powder and you might want to shake the gun in a small circular motion while shooting
          2 = anything done to a polish surface will be seen after clear is applied
          clean it as best you can , outgass and coat
          3 = powder always has some wavi finish and it shows up more with hobby guns , you might want to check your ground too.

and for second coats always use the 150 rule
          let part cool to 150 degres then coat , you will never have any problems
          Last edited by jtagger19; 04-25-2006, 10:33 PM.

Comment

THANKS guys, I'll have to play more this weekend.

and machone, yes you are correct. sleddin is my favorite thing to do besides racing. i live and ride in the U.P.

Comment

Cool uper, (spelled yooper down here ) I rode Paradise, Taquamenon, & Whitefish point this year, had a blast! Had to put the V-max on the trailer & pull out the 'stangs now though, that time of year
              mach
              TSA Custom Metal Finishes
              Live fast, Die sideways

Comment

i just gotta be different ya know

Comment

Working...
                X