"plastic" center caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "plastic" center caps

Has anyone had a problem with plastic center caps? I want to PC some wheels and the center cap is plastic. I wasn't sure about the temp. - if the caps would be damaged at cure temp.

Any problems with the PC sticking? Is this a case I would need to preheat the part prior to coat?

thanks in advance.

Re: "plastic" center caps

do the center caps not come out? I don't think I have ever see rims that the caps did not just pop out.

Comment

yes the center caps do come out, I was more wondering about the plastic at temp. I would like them to be PC'd the same time as the wheels. Will it work? Or will my plastic deform?

sorry about the confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by buddybns
        yes the center caps do come out, I was more wondering about the plastic at temp. I would like them to be PC'd the same time as the wheels. Will it work? Or will my plastic deform?

sorry about the confusion.
        The Plastic will melt.. They can be painted NOT PC'ed..

Jim S...
        Jim Shuster
        www.backyardpowdercoating.com Sold.....
        www.chrissys68mustang.com Hobbie
        www.photogserver.net Web Hosting.

Comment

It is an option to cure them at a lower temp? They may not be fully cured, but at least the color would match..

please advise

Comment

Even at al lower temp like 100 (if that were possible), the plastic would at the very least, shrink and warp. Like HVAC said, repaint them a matching or coordinated color! Plastic and any kind of heat, don't mix well, period!
            Johnny
            Sho Me Coatings
            Mike & Johnny
            Sho Me Coatings

Comment

I haven't tried to shoot any parts hot, but I have read some things on this site explaining parts heated to 150-200 and shooting them (and the powder running at these temps). I would think the plastic would be OK at these temps. After all, how hot would it be 6" off the road in AZ middle of summer.

Just questions..

I don't want to go through the trouble of PC'ing the wheels then have to turn around and match the paint for the center caps, especially if someone wants a "different" color.

Maybe I'll just try it out.

thanks again

Comment

anybody have experience with coating center caps at a lower temp? Or spraying them hot so the plastic center cap won't melt?

help please.

thanks

Comment

Belle Tire or other tire centers carry aluminum center caps that will fit most applications. Good to know for when your caps melt.
                  mach
                  TSA Custom Metal Finishes
                  Live fast, Die sideways

Comment

Working...
                  X