cheapest route to dry air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cheapest route to dry air

Been looking around for a system to dry air.Looks like an expensive deal.what company offers a setup that will work and not make me have to morgage my house to buy it?Tried the one from harber freight.What a piece of junk.Fifty bucks down the drain.Thanks Les

What type of powder setup do you use? What type and quantity of product are you coating (a hobby/pro)? What price range are you looking to pay for this?
    www.spitfirecustoms.com

Comment

Re: cheapest route to dry air

Originally posted by Spitfire13
      What type of powder setup do you use? What type and quantity of product are you coating (a hobby/pro)? What price range are you looking to pay for this?
      Useing TGIC powder doing bicycle frames and components.Maybe five hours a month spray time.I guess hobby user would be the best description.
      Thanks for your help Les

Comment

Coil up some 1/2" copper tubing such that it fits in a 5 gal bucket (the more coils the better, up to the top of the bucket). Cut a small hole in the side of the bucket at the bottom to allow the copper tubing to enter the bucket. Put the copper coil in the bucket and seal around the hole where the tubing enters the bucket with RTV silicon. Put a water trap and NTP fittings at the bottom of the coil (outside the bucket) and another fitting at the top of the coil. Put the bucket on a stool of some sort and fill it with water and ice. Connect this assembly between your compressor and your powder coating equipment. This will cool the air below the vapor point which will condense the water out. Water can be drained at the water trap. If you want to dry out the air a little more you can add an inexpensive dessicant dryer between the coil and the equipment.

Comment

sounds like it would work.I have an old cooler that may work .Certainly looks like a good option.THNX

Comment

Another thing you might consider is getting is a paper element filter. I have one that uses what looks like a roll of toilet paper, and the elements are reusable. My setup is too big to use it alone but it does work quite well.

Comment

bzer1, are you referring to the Motorgaurd filter?
              Mike
              Sho ME Coatings
              Mike & Johnny
              Sho Me Coatings

Comment

I have a Coalescing Air Filter. I got it from TPtools. It uses a paper roll to remove moisture and oil from the air. When it gets too wet you simply exchange it for a new one and allow the old one to dry out, and reuse it.

Comment

I Just Started To Use Bottled Nitrogen Its 100% Dry And Way Cheaper Than A Air Dryer To Start Out. I'm Using A S-tank (about 7" Round And 48" Tall) Shot About 5 Pounds Of Powder On 3/4 Of A Tank So Far. Full Tank Is $12.00. Might Be Too Costly If Doing A Lot Of Powder.

Comment

Go check out this thread
                    dissicant dryers.Do they work?
                    http://forum.caswellplating.com/showthread.php?t=4983
                    Another discussion and a possible DIY project for a dessicant drier.
                    Mike
                    Sho Me Coatings
                    Mike & Johnny
                    Sho Me Coatings

Comment

I just made my own filter/dryer using some pvc piping and stuffing it full of a curtin female item

Comment

I know that most people won't have need for this elaborate of a set up, but it makes sense in terms of getting rid of excess moisture. It's what I'm planning for once the new shop building is done.

http://www.oldsmobility.com/air-compressor-piping.htm

Comment

Working...
                        X