Experimenting with paint and powder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experimenting with paint and powder

I decided to find out what would happen if you powder coat a base color, cure, then airbrush on top, then powder clear. Don't laugh at my airbrushing skills. The first one turned out good with no problems. The second one is supposed to be blue in the center and kinda bled the colors together and cooked. I'm not sure if it was the color or if it was the fact that I put it on alot heavier. I'll do some more when I get time. Has anyone else toyed with this?

Re: Experimenting with paint and powder

Yup, I've airbrushed over PC. Works just fine. And no laughing at your AB skills. Everyones gotta start somewhere. I've done ALOT worse flames LOL. BUt, flames now are my specialty. Nice try on the rip too BTW. I've been playing with rips for a couple of years now.

Dan Pesonen
    Bandit Powder Coat <<From Powder to Perfection>>
    Forest Grove, BC Canada

Personal motto:
    "If it ain't broke, modify somethin till it is"

Comment

Yea those flames were 5 min. flames, but I can and have done ALOT better. Do you have any close ups of your rips? I've not been able to get those right. When you airbrushed over PC did you clear PC it or did you use reg. clear? I'm trying to get the adhesion of PC for a base and the durability with the clear.

Comment

Unfortunately, I think You have to use a paint clear over the graphics. Or, use single stage paint that doesn't need clear, that would be the best, if possible. I don't think any PC clear has a low enough cure temp to be safe with paint I am painting another RC car body this weekend, it has some rips in it, I'll try to get some closeup shot's next week for ya. But, my odies are also done on the inside(clear lexan) so the painting procedure is reverse. That get's tricky sometimes. Shadows have to be done first.
        Dan Pesonen
        Bandit Powder Coat <<From Powder to Perfection>>
        Forest Grove, BC Canada

Personal motto:
        "If it ain't broke, modify somethin till it is"

Comment

I would like to see those pics when you get them, and to know you did that RC in reverse is very impressive. As far as the clear, I'll keep experimenting with different paints hoping to find a way to use the PC clear. I have a 2 year degree (whoopie ) in auto collision work and 5 years experience as a painter so I'm very familiar with urethane clears and single stages, but I'm looking to find a way to add more of the custom touch to PC. My thoughts are based from 2003Z's paint pen work on his brake parts and the ability to PC over it. I used three paint colors on those two panels... black, silver, and blue. The first two work fine, so I know that I can use those in the future this way and with more tests I hope to find more that can be used with sucess. I'll just keep a log of what brand, type ,and colors that work as I go. If anyone else finds any compatible paints I'd appreciate the info. as well. I have a friend that is an awesome airbrusher I can take work to if I can supply compatible paints in the colors that my PC customers ask for.

Comment

Well that's a whole lot better than I could have done...I'm thinkin it looks pretty good. I have, however seen a few coaters that have powdered the base, air brushed, then powdered the clear. I would have thought that the paint would have bubbled up. I don't know what type of paint was used but it did come out looking mighty nice.

Comment

Working...
            X