How long can i store powder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long can i store powder?

In my shop powdercoating has been a bit slow last year, we specialize on ceramic coating. Well, any way, we had a lot of powder stored, and when testing the powder some of it just didnt stick on the part, like the power to the gun was not plugged in. One thing that really puzzles me is that we had 2 cans, one lollypop purple, and one transparent red, both unopenend, and the red works great, the purple just dont stick. I think they both are well over a year old and stored in a dry cool enviriment. Whats with this powder? It flows even, no clumps at all. No indication of moist. One sticks, the other not.

Also we had a few kilos Du Pont powder, polyester, that where the same, some did stick, some not. All about the same age.

The powder that dont work, it acts exactly like when you forget the groundcable.

All test where done on the same part...
    WEIRD Performance & Coatings
    Sweden

Re: How long can i store powder?

I have stored powder for 10 months so far, still ok. AS long as it's kept cool, and dry. should be ok for a loong time. They say 6 months, but I think that's to cover the manufacture's but. I just got 25Lbs of Chevy Orange, I think I'll have it for a few months.
    Dan Pesonen
    Bandit Powder Coat <<From Powder to Perfection>>
    Forest Grove, BC Canada

Personal motto:
    "If it ain't broke, modify somethin till it is"

Comment

Has anyone else had this problem with the powder not sticking to the part at all?
      Sweden

Comment

What type of parts? Bare metal or a second coat?

Comment

I've used powder as old as 3yo without a problem, never had any powder that wouldn't take a charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Harleydad
            What type of parts? Bare metal or a second coat?

Newly blasted aluminum, and some powders just fell right off, others stick to it...
            Sweden

Comment

Are you trying this on the same piece of aluminum? For instance, the first powder will stick so you blow it off and try the next?

1. You could try lowering the gun voltage.
              2. Attaching your ground directly to the part.
              3. If you try the powder and it won't stick, then blow it off and try again there will still be a charge there and you'll never get it to stick. Try putting the bare part in the oven for few minutes to remove any charge, let it cool. Drop the gun voltage and try it again.

Here's a good trouble shooting guide, look at section 2.3
              http://www.tiger-coatings.com/filead...guide2_usa.pdf
              Harleydad
              Metal Finishing Guru
              Last edited by Harleydad; 02-04-2007, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Zpider,

Have any luck diagnosing your powder problem?

Comment

I have had some High Gloss Black that I had stored for almost two years. I just opened it a couple of weeks ago. Looks great coated on some parts.

Comment

is storing powder in a refrigerator a good idea? my brother is getting rid of his, so thought i might be able to use it. i figure at max temp setting it would be 50-60 degrees.

only problem is it would be outside in the garage, and winter might not be too friendly on the fridge or the powder.

Comment

Originally posted by defed
                      is storing powder in a refrigerator a good idea? my brother is getting rid of his, so thought i might be able to use it. i figure at max temp setting it would be 50-60 degrees.

only problem is it would be outside in the garage, and winter might not be too friendly on the fridge or the powder.
                      Sure, just don't plug it in. Here's some reading.
                      http://forum.eastwoodco.com/showthre...storing+powder

http://forum.eastwoodco.com/showthre...storing+powder

Comment

Working...
                      X