Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it this easy, or am I missing something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chromo,

I have been reading through these messages and I too thought you sort of took 360's head off at first. But I agree $400 for an oven when you can get a full size one at Lowes or Home Depot for so much less is crazy, and they all do the same thing!
    I have a small anodizing and machine shop. My wife thinks I'm crazy "playing" with acid and my lathe. Like you said I could be sitting on my butt watching the tube or I could be outside doing something cool.
    Any dude who makes their own gas is all right in my book.

Take care,
    Tim

Comment

$400 ovens

The last 2 ovens I bought were US$122,000 and US$125,160 installed. Don't look at the price, look at the ROI!

-Scott
      J. Scott Moncrief
      Manager-Engineering, R&D
      Livingstone Coating Corporation

Comment

It sounds like you have a pretty large scale powder coating business, so $125,000+ is indeed considered a business investment. I'm sure your ovens also have a very high capacity, and a very long life expectancy to ensure your ROI. For most hobbyists, a normal consumer electric oven works OK. I picked one up off the curb for free, and it works perfectly for the small parts I work with. I think Chromo was just trying to make a point about the difference between a $400 commercial powder coating oven, and a used, pick-up-off-the-curb-for-free consumer model that works well for most hobby needs. They both are very close to the same size, and there is a very large price difference between them (by hobbyist standards). I have to plead ignorance when it comes to Las Vegas electrical conditions. My house (suburban Chicago) has 220v at the box, and I paid an electrician $500 to run a secondary box with (3) 120v and (1) 220v circuits out to my garage. Clean, simple, safe, and legal. It runs my air compressor, welder, and oven (although not at the same time). I too, was unaware that some homes do not have 220v available in them. In our area, 220v 3 phase is not available in a residence, but every home has 220v single phase.

Hemi-T

Comment

(IN REFERENCE TO ALL THE 220 SMALL 4OO$ OVEN TALK)
          I GOT A 1993 WHIRLPOOL ELECTRIC STOVE IN PERFECT PERFECT WORKING ORDER FOR DONATING 50$ AT A LOCAL CHURCH YARDSALE.
          BUT CHROMO'S RIGHT IF YOU ALREADY HAVE 220 COMPRESSOR YOUR ALMOST THERE. HERES WHAT I DID. PLAINLY SPEAKING THERE IS A BLACK TERMINAL WHITE TERMINAL AND RED TERMINAL ON THE BACK OF MY OVEN. I USED A 110 HEAVY DUTY CORD STRIPPED THE SOLID BLACK WIRE AND PUT IT ON THE BLACK TERMINAL AND STRIPPED THE BLACK WITH WHITE STRIPE WIRE AND PUT IT ON THE RED TERMINAL. NOW THE OVEN WORKS PERFECTLY ON 110. AND IF I WANTED TO USE THE OVEN LIGHT AND TIMER/BUZZER I JUST HAVE TO PUT A JUMPER FROM THE SOLID BLACK TO THE WHITE TERMINAL. (BUT IM NOT GOING TO PUSH MY LUCK.)
          WELL THERE YOU HAVE IT. ITS NOT STUPID ASS NUCLEAR FUSION. ITS POWDER COATING. JUST BAKE IT.
          ADAM (just trying to get a higher rating) BOND

P.S. the oven has worked for about a year, heats up to 400 in about 5 min. and i havent burnt my garage down.

Comment

Working...
          X