Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it this easy, or am I missing something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chromo
    replied
    Nothing personal, but why would anyone pay $400 for an oven? Am I missing something?

"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They have a basic powder coating oven around $400.00.

The cooking area dimensions are 18"x18"x18" and it connects to a regular 110V outlet. I ordered one the other day to do small parts, so I'll let you know how it goes once I get it. "
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isn't that rather small? Might be great if you need to be portable, but other than that a waist of money!

Buy an old electric stove with working oven, garage sale, auction, etc...
    $35! Maybe more or less, but close. Should be even cheaper like haul away for free if the top burners don't work! 220 is not hard to hook up if you know how to wire anything, and if not get an electrician for the $350 your saving!!

If you have a decent sized air compresser it is probably 220v anyway, so you just need to connect an extra outlet for the stove.

In anycase that's all you need, a cheap electric stove, air compresser, spray kit, and colors.

Then of course what ever your working the metal with like taking off paint pulling dents, polishing out castings etc...

The main thing is electric, as I have been told the gas produced from the baked coating is flamable, so you cannot use a gas oven!!

Chromo

Leave a comment:

• 360air
    replied
    They have a basic powder coating oven around $400.00.

The cooking area dimensions are 18"x18"x18" and it connects to a regular 110V outlet. I ordered one the other day to do small parts, so I'll let you know how it goes once I get it.

Joe

Leave a comment:

• DALE
    replied
    it is this simple

Do not under any circumstances use the oven in your home for powder coating. Find an old one used and place it in your garage. Sandblasting the old paint off prior to powder coating works very well and gives the powder a good surface to adhere to.If you have a compressor already and find an oven then yes the kit is all you need. Plus ordering the color powder you wish to use. Yes it is simple just requires a little trial and error to develope techniques that get you the results you are after.

Leave a comment:

• golferdude
    started a topic Is it this easy, or am I missing something?

Is it this easy, or am I missing something?

Okay, simple questiong here. I already own an air compressor. I would like to purchase the small powder coat gun kit. Is this all I need to do a couple of small jobs?

Do I need a special oven or can I use the oven in my house? Do I need a booth for such small jobs or is the booth necessary any time using this process?

Is sandblasting the old paint from certain surfaces recommended before powder coating, or is simple sanding, prepping all that is needed?

Any help would be appreciated as this is a new hobby I'm very interested in.

Thanks,

Tom Aliff
    www.mbhackers.com
Working...
X