parts prep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• parts prep

I was just wondering what you guys think is some of the best ways to prep out parts. I dont have any ability to sand blast my parts so in the past all I've done is hand sand my parts then clean with acitone to get rid of oils from my hands and then powder coat the parts.

My main questions being that some of the parts i will be doing have a lot of paint on them and wanting to know whats a good way to strip that off with out the aid of sand blasting. Hand sanding will take me weeks for some of these parts so I want something a little faster and easier.

I think this will help a lot of others too who are just starting out.

Also, some parts I have I'm not sure they can take the 350~400 of powder coating (internal diaphrams (vacuum advance, EGR, etc)) Is it posible to bake the coating at a lower temp for a longer time? any info is greatly apreciated
    Last edited by outcastzeroone; 05-20-2007, 02:25 PM.

Re: parts prep

how big of a compressor do you have? I use different abrasives (scotch brite pads, sanding discs, etc.) on different sized & shaped die-grinders and grinders @ times. on large flat pieces I use an orbital sander. sometimes it's easier than blasting.
    SouthWest Powderworx
    Tyler Nutter
    www.swpowder.com
    myspace/swpowder
    [email protected]
    sigpic

Comment

yellow book, look up sand blaster and find a guy to do it for you.
      Powdercoat... the other, other, multicolored meat.

Comment

I dont have a full sized compressor. I only have that little 12v one that came with the caswell set up. I am looking into getting a small compressor but the funds arent there at this time.

So, back to my original question, WITH OUT the aid of a sand blaster what would be a good way to prep the parts.

Comment

You have a pm.
          It ain't your grandma's box!!

Comment

This is how I did it befor I had a blaster. Aircraft Stripper to remove the majority of the old paint then a wire brush in a drill for the smaller parts I also have a large wire brush mounted on a grinder for the larger stuff. Along with multiple different sanders. I still do a lot of the prep work this way and only use the blaster for final clean up.

Comment

d d d d did I stutter in my 1st reply?
              SouthWest Powderworx
              Tyler Nutter
              www.swpowder.com
              myspace/swpowder
              [email protected]
              sigpic

Comment

nuttyman: nope, i didnt mean to over look your post or make it seem like I had.

now, what about the parts that cant or not sure if they can take the full curing heat?

Comment

i'm not really sure about those. in general u can cure for longer times @ slightly lower temps to achieve full cure but not by more than something like 25 deg of difference. it's risky though! what meterial are the parts made of u need to do? & what gauge? i'm a smartazz by the way so don't mind my sarcasm.
                  SouthWest Powderworx
                  Tyler Nutter
                  www.swpowder.com
                  myspace/swpowder
                  [email protected]
                  sigpic

Comment

well like i said, parts like a distributor vacuum advance, EGR valve, basicly metal parts on a car that take a couple hundred degrees but not a full 350-400.

Comment

Working...
                    X