Gun ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun ?

Is the new caswell gun any good? How much powder do you have to have in the cup for it to get it out. It looks like you have to have a full cup to do it. Im just a beginner but will be doing it alot. Any other guns you recomend?

thanks

Re: Gun ?

Full cup, Heck NO. I put about 7 heaping spoonfulls into the cup, and have good results. To much powder and it wil Burp and Clump out of the gun, not a fine powder cloud.
    Dan Pesonen
    Bandit Powder Coat <<From Powder to Perfection>>
    Forest Grove, BC Canada

Personal motto:
    "If it ain't broke, modify somethin till it is"

Comment

depends on your budget. if you can afford it get a Gema.
      SouthWest Powderworx
      Tyler Nutter
      www.swpowder.com
      myspace/swpowder
      [email protected]
      sigpic

Comment

I have a gun now like the Caswell $100 unit. I like mine so far.
        I think I been using 1-2" of powder in the cup, not allot but not paying much attention to it, I just dump in a bit and go.
        I been doing 10"dia. flat plate steel parts so far, nothing fancy for me yet.

Comment

Once I figured out how to set the Caswell gun up (air, flow, amount of powder) I've been having good results with it. Not so much powder loss and now have a pretty decent powder cloud. Still have to shake it now and then, but works, pretty good. I've coated many different things with it. Don't care much for the cup on top, but, you win some and you lose some. Mine is the adjustable KV gun. I only put in a bout 6 scoops of powder in the cup, otherwise it pucks out powder when you least expect it. I'm looking to upgrade, soon I hope, but it's an okay gun. Read a thread somewhere on a comparison of a couple of the cheaper guns, but can't remember where it was. If I find it again, I'll post it.
          Who says you can't teach an ole dog new tricks?

Comment

I bought the 50V gun and I think I have to send it back. I cant get the powder to sick to the metal. Must be a electrical problem. Anyone ever seen this before?

Comment

I serched past post and found many with problems. Should I get a diffrent brand of gun?

Comment

The Caswell adjustable KV gun has been very good for me. At the start I thought there were a lot of problems with it, but it turns out I just didn?t know how to use it. You need to play around with the gun (different air setting, flow settings and gun to part distance.) Everyone sprays a little different. A few things to make sure of
                1. Ware a respirator
                2. Always filter the air to the gun
                3. Never fill the cup up to much
                4. Check your grounding with a meter (some people don?t realize you can't put the grounding clip over paint, it has to bet touching the metal.)
                5. Outgas Outgas, Outgas .
                I am by far no pro but these are the things I have learned.

Hope that this info helps

Comment

Anyone have or could make a video clip of doing PC? That I think would be very cool and help a lot of noobs. When I used the gun to do 6 small pieces, there was about 1/2 of the cup on the floor. I had a lot of over spray and would not stick.

Comment

Originally posted by zoeconner View Post

Anyone have or could make a video clip of doing PC? That I think would be very cool and help a lot of noobs. When I used the gun to do 6 small pieces, there was about 1/2 of the cup on the floor. I had a lot of over spray and would not stick.
                    Theres a video clip link in this post from another forum:
                    http://forum.eastwoodco.com/showthread.php?t=5941
                    Outgassing is used on cast materials such as aluminum,zinc,etc......along with things like car parts that have been subject to grease and oil.
                    What you do is clean and degrease the parts. Put them in the oven to outgas @ about 50 degrees above the cure temp of the powder you are using and cook them for about an hour. What it's doing is opening the pores of the material to release any trapped air, junk, that in it. Blast after outgassing.
                    As far as powder not sticking, are you sure you have a good ground?
                    Last edited by Harleydad; 08-11-2007, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Thats what I was kind of trying to find out. I have a huge powder cloud and I dont know why. Im hopeing its because it has a ground issue and not sticking. So if anyone has a video showing the right way would help. The last video they said they did alot of things wrong.

Comment

Can someone tell me if there is a big diff between the old hobby gun and the 50 kv gun. I have the 50 kv gun and still think Im wasting a lot of powder. How bad is the old gun. I even thought about getting the HR Chicago gun.

Comment

Section 3 number 6
                          http://www.coatings.de/pcmanual/pcmanual.cfm
                          And more reading for ya.
                          http://www.nordson.com/pdf/literature/PWR1164.pdf

Comment

Thanks. Im looking for the real truth from poeple that have used both of these guns.

Comment

The adjustable kv gun is going to help quite a bit with faraday cage areas and second coats.

Comment

Working...
                              X