Solar Flat Black issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Flat Black issues

At work we tried useing some of hte caswell Solar Flat Black on a peice for a car we where working on. It had a couple of shiny spots on it and a booger so we sanded it down and reshot it with the flat and cooked it at 175 for 12 min. Only when we pulled it out it was gloss/semi gloss and not flat at all.

Has anyone had isues useing the Solar Flat Black before? Did we screw up on the second coat?

Re: Solar Flat Black issues

Originally posted by outcastzeroone
    At work we tried useing some of hte caswell Solar Flat Black on a peice for a car we where working on. It had a couple of shiny spots on it and a booger so we sanded it down and reshot it with the flat and cooked it at 175 for 12 min. Only when we pulled it out it was gloss/semi gloss and not flat at all.

Has anyone had isues useing the Solar Flat Black before? Did we screw up on the second coat?
    solar flat black is noticibly more tempermental to apply than, say, super wet black when using a less expensive gun. double coating compounds this problem a lot. as far as it turning to semigloss, i haven't experienced that. were the lines clean? i've got to believe some kind of contamination is causing this. ...either from the gun, or on the part.
    Len
    Figure Finishing
    www.FigureEngineering.com
    866-900-4949

Comment

The first powder my husband ever tried was solar flat black..to describe the powder as tempermental is an understatement. His research found that lots of other people have had trouble using the powder. It's an awesome color if you can get it to coat correctly.

My suggestion...just keep trying.

LyNsEy

Comment

also, if you need to touch up just a small spot, advance auto carries the small 1-2oz bottles of flat black automotive touch up paint. it'll be with the code-matched touch up paints. "universal flat black"
        Len
        Figure Finishing
        866-900-4949

Comment

Isnt 175 an extremely low cure temp?

Comment

oh, yeah, i completely missed the 175 cure temp! i probably read it as 375. how heavy is the part you're coating. cure times (along with the corresponding cure temperatures) are based on when flow out (when powder first melts and looks glossy) begins. so if the cure schedule calls for 12min at 395, it'd take several minutes for flow out and THEN 12 more minutes. if you're coating a heavy steel part, it's gonna take more time to get it up to flow out temp. also, if some portions of the part are heavier than others, the flow out times are going to vary, and maybe this could be contributing to the uneven texture.
            Len
            Figure Finishing
            866-900-4949

Comment

Definitely undercured.
              www.spitfirecustoms.com

Comment

Working...
              X