Cups Plates and glasses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cups Plates and glasses?

I saw a picture of a great looking coffee cup that was Powder coated. Looked like maybe a ceramic cup. Is normal powder and extreme chrome and lolly etc.. safe for food items like Cups, Glasses which would be just the outside?
    What about plates or silverware like forks, spoons, and butter knifes?

I think I saw some FDA powders somewhere for food type use, but is that more for the cooking utensils like pots and metal spatulas spoons etc..?
    I also know of course that just like OSHA, EPA etc.. the FDA can be nuts with requirements, is it that most powders are safe but only a few are tested and approved by FDA?

I had a couple ideas and want to be safe about it! I can often get plain white or off white ceramic cups and plates cheap.

Re: Cups Plates and glasses?

you could always try it and let us know.

i'd try the powder manufacturer's msds. should be available on their website. i wouldn't be concerned about eating off a powder coated surface, but if this is something for a customer be ***real*** sure its approved as food-grade.
    Len
    Figure Finishing
    www.FigureEngineering.com
    866-900-4949

Comment

The outside of mugs and such you should be o.k. The FDA stuff is good for kitchen surfaces and food transportation containers. I would not cook with it. I had a customer wanting some fire rings and grill grates done. I called my Tiger rep and he said he would not cook on the grill grates if they were coated.
      For what it's worth, heres a data sheet
      http://www.tigerdrylac.com/fileadmin..._Compliant.pdf

Comment

"kitchen surfaces and food transportation containers"

Those MSDS sheets often don't tell me much. Well I guess if I could coat a corn oil 55gal drum or corn meal barrel for food transportation container then I could coat a plate to eat off of?

I agree I probably would not want to do anything like a fire ring or grill grate or cake pan/ cookie sheet because of the high heat, kinda like baking it more. The MSDS does not tell me anything about heat tolerence or toxic fumes etc..

If done with a high temp coating the fire ring might be ok I guess, it's not in direct contact with food so toxic fumes would be my only real concern, but the grill grate would be in direct contact with food which is another game.

Comment

Heres the brochure tha coantains the FDA powder, read FDA Compliant under notes on pg 2 of the pdf.
          http://www.tigerdrylac.com/fileadmin...eriorchart.pdf
          Above was the Data Sheet, heres the MSDS:

http://www.tigerdrylac.com/fileadmin...ds/0910126.pdf

Pretty limited to color selection with FDA, black,white or gray.

Comment

yeah, i wouldn't do it on stuff that gets hot, but i guess i didn't address that since the title said cups/plates/glasses. along those lines the powder manufacturers say that you shouldn't bake powder in a food oven. ...i won't say i haven't done that at some point, though.
            Len
            Figure Finishing
            866-900-4949

Comment

Yuck. If I have to stick with FDA colors I might skip the idea. Those are kinda ugly.

I think I'll do the outside of some cups maybe but skip the other stuff, at least for now.

Heck it should to be safer than stuff you buy at wal-mart, since it DOES NOT contain lead LOL

I'm reffering to the kids toys that used lead paints recently of course.

Comment

Originally posted by chromo
                should to be safer than stuff you buy at wal-mart, since it DOES NOT contain lead
                ...or dog. never know with stuff from china.
                Len
                Figure Finishing
                866-900-4949

Comment

Working...
                X