Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tip of the day! if you're interested....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip of the day! if you're interested....

just a quick tip for those of you interested. When I have to do large sets of fasteners I prepare them like this:
    with a wire

cardboard & foil
    SouthWest Powderworx
    Tyler Nutter
    www.swpowder.com
    myspace/swpowder
    [email protected]
    sigpic

Re: Tip of the day! if you're interested....

SouthWest Powderworx
    Tyler Nutter
    www.swpowder.com
    myspace/swpowder
    [email protected]
    sigpic

Comment

Do you have problems without grounding them? I just used cardboard.

Comment

Looks like he's stuck the Torx through tinfoil I do them the same way
        Dan Pesonen
        Bandit Powder Coat <<From Powder to Perfection>>
        Forest Grove, BC Canada

Personal motto:
        "If it ain't broke, modify somethin till it is"

Comment

Great idea.

Tinfoil should make a nice ground to all the parts, but that's allot of grounded area sucking up powder also it looks like. Have you tried putting the tinfoil on the back side of the cardboard? Looks like it's on the front side to me in the pictures.
          I would think you would get as much ground to the parts but with foil on the backside the parts might grab the powder better, not having the foil ground all around them like that.

Another neat trick is save your beer and soda cans. For bolts and screws punch holes in the cans a bit smaller than the bolt or screw and screw or press them in. Ground to the can top or pull tab. This keeps the powder off the threads.

Comment

thanks guys . i was using the wire only . the tin foil and cardboard might be better and faster in some cases .never thought about that ,maybe that s why we have these forums
            http://www.peintureenpoudrepb.com
            http://www.polissagepb.com
            http://www.powdercoatpb.com
            baz

Comment

Would cardboard handle the cure heat?
              Dan Pesonen
              Forest Grove, BC Canada

Personal motto:

Comment

Originally posted by Banditperformance View Post
                Would cardboard handle the cure heat?
                Yup thats what we always use. It's just as fast and easy. I've used the pop can idea before as well. Then you can also preheat the fasteners and shoot them hot.

Comment

no problem with the cardboard bro! & the overspray on the foil is not an issue either. There will be overspray anyway so it's no big deal.
                  SouthWest Powderworx
                  Tyler Nutter
                  www.swpowder.com
                  myspace/swpowder
                  [email protected]
                  sigpic

Comment

the can idea is what i use. also the cans also make good samples, i keep all my tall boy cans and shoot them when i do a run. then when ppl ask how a color looks i give then a can with the colors they want.
                    http://www.illwillinc.com/
                    PC'ing -> trods

Comment

and the torx fits well??

daym i have a project this week!
                      Powdercoat... the other, other, multicolored meat.

Comment

I love seeing innovative ways for racking. Anybody hang a motor?

Comment

"Anybody hang a motor?"

I hanged a motor rebuilder once when the $3,000 engine I built blew cause of a warped head he did not machine correctly, does that count LOL

Hey a motor really should not be a big deal. It all depends what you have to work with. Cover all gasket and port areas, bolt holes etc.. to prevent over spray of course, normal masking stuff. Hang on chain from lift, should be able to rotate some if needed on chain or make a LARGE nut and BOLT setup so that you can turn any amount desired.
                          If your oven is large enough for the engine stand or full engine lift roll it in after spraying.
                          If oven will be used allot for such hanging things and smaller, cut a slot in the top for a chain, roll in engine block on chain, cover slot in oven top, bake as normal. Some losses in heat probably but should not be too bad if you make a good slot cover.

I have not powder coated an engine yet myself, but most of this stuff is same as painting! I did allot of that, the baking is the only real difference it seems. So hang the engine to rotate for painting, then slide into an oven. Like I said a slot in top will let the hanging chain slide in, cover the slot to hold the heat. So even if your oven is just larger than than an engine block it should work ok if the oven is on a stand that lets a lifts legs slide under it and a chain slide through the top slot, cover the slot and bake.
                          I have a couple old 460 Fords I been thingking about doing

Comment

Engine on a Engine Stand, YES, on an Engine Hoist NO. The Hyd cyl for the engine Hoist will not handle the heat. Seals will burn, engine will fall down LOL
                            Dan Pesonen
                            Forest Grove, BC Canada

Personal motto:

Comment

Thanks Banditperformance,
                              Sorry, your right of course, DO NOT bake the ram jack, OOPS.

I had a special couple plates on mine, I could lock the lift at most any height with pins. This was to make sure a hanging engine would not crash down if a ram blew and prevent leak downs also. The ram could be taken out at anytime at most any height also if the pins were in place.
                              I guess I was thinking of that lift and forgot most lifts are not built that way.

You should never really work on an engine on a lift, but hey when I just wanted lower parts like the oil pan and motor mounts from a scrap engine I would pull those while on the lift loading the scrap engine into the truck bed and not bother mounting on the stand. Hard to pull a pan if the engine is sitting on it. LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X