Acetone Cleaning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acetone Cleaning?

when cleaning with acetone do you spray and wipe with a cloth or rag, or spray and just let it eveporate?

Re: Acetone Cleaning?

I have been buying the 1lb box of lint free rags at Menards to wipe with.

Comment

wipe 'em & as said use lint free cloths.
      SouthWest Powderworx
      Tyler Nutter
      www.swpowder.com
      myspace/swpowder
      [email protected]
      sigpic

Comment

I've seen allot said on this, from wiping with a rag soaked in Acetone to spraying it. Those who do it a certain way like that way, but seems allot of ways.

One thing I think about is if you spray a part to disolve oils or grease, then when the spray dries where does the oils and grease go?? I would wipe down the part while wet myself!
        The thing is acetone evaporates off the parts but oils don't evaporate so they have to still be there somewhere I think, maybe ran down to the lowest corner, perhaps dripped off, perhaps not, depending how wet sprayed.
        Wiping with a clean dry lint free rag while the part is wet should wipe off the oils etc.. then the acetone left behind should evaporate.

I think I like wiping with a wet acetone rag better than spraying so far myself, but I'm still new also. With the old fancy paint jobs I felt the same way though, wipe with a wet prepsol rag and a dry clean rag, I did not trust just spraying a solvent and letting it evaporate then either! Ols wax on old paint would disolve with the prep, but if the prep evaporated the wax was still on the car, I feel the same about oils on metal.

Comment

Usually I use enough acetone to Flush the contaminants off the part.
          Dan Pesonen
          Bandit Powder Coat <<From Powder to Perfection>>
          Forest Grove, BC Canada

Personal motto:
          "If it ain't broke, modify somethin till it is"

Comment

Working...
          X