Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $3,000 gun vs $200?

What makes one over 10x more expensive?

I've read about giving an experienced person a $200 gun and he can do a better job than a newbie with a $3000 gun but if the same experienced guy uses both guns, what difference is there in both features and application?

Thanks

Re: $3,000 gun vs $200?

The pro gun is going to have adjustable kv's and microamps. This is going to help with getting into faraday areas and application of two or more coats. My gun has what the manufacturer calls Total Energy Control. As you move the gun away from or closer to the part it will automatically adjust the settings. This also helps delay the onset of back ionization.
    Kinda like using a real nail gun vs a bradnailer.

Comment

yeah, the expensive guns have higher kv and automatically adjust for back ionization and can control parameters for different parts profiles (e.g. big and flat vs intricate with nooks and crannies, double coating, etc). air volume, powder flow, and fluidization are all independently adjustable. powder stream is more consistent, transfer efficiency is much higher. typically they lay a thicker coat which improves edge coverage greatly. they're faster to clean and change over to another color. replacement parts are readily available.

along the lines of skilled vs unskilled operators, i explain it to people like sports cars: a stock miata vs a track car. the track car is much more expensive and is a more capable machine, but it takes some skill to drive properly. joe driver can probably go faster in his miata than the track car. mario a. can go faster than anybody in the track car and can still go faster in the miata than joe driver in either car.

don't be afraid of the intricacies of a high end system, it's just not point and shoot. the learning curve isn't bad. and it's much less frustrating than the hobby guns at any rate. the hobby guns are a great place to start, though. i used them for years with good results. recently stepped it up to a nordon surecoat, though.
      Len
      Figure Finishing
      www.FigureEngineering.com
      866-900-4949

Comment

well said.
        SouthWest Powderworx
        Tyler Nutter
        www.swpowder.com
        myspace/swpowder
        [email protected]
        sigpic

Comment

thanks for the replies!

Comment

yes well said but for 1 detail . i don t agree with the faster cleaning and color change
            when i have only 1 or 2 small pieces to do of the same color i use my hobby gun
            not to have to clean my hopper
            http://www.peintureenpoudrepb.com
            http://www.polissagepb.com
            http://www.powdercoatpb.com
            baz

Comment

I agree with Baz, the hopper would take longer to clean. A box feed gun can be cleaned up in no time.

Comment

Let's say production is not an issue, powdercoating would be more or less a hobby for me (a few parts for my Harley or my car, few pieces for friends, etc...). I would probably end up using my PC setup a few times a month. Would you guys say that a hobby gun like the Caswell 50kv one would be sufficient? Thanks for any input.

Comment

I think you can't go wrong with the 50 kv gun with the modifications discussed in detail on this site done to it. I am in the same boat as you I am semi-retired and only powder for myself and through word of mouth. Save your money and invest in a good 2 stage air compressor good quality air filtration such as aqua check (amsoil) and a nice sized quality blasting cabinet (scat blast). Your cabinet has to big enough so that when you blast your media will not destroy your window covering halfway through the part you are blasting. A cabinet where you can blast a Harley primary cover is nice to have as they are simple to powder and a good source of income.

Comment

Originally posted by powdersparky View Post
                    I think you can't go wrong with the 50 kv gun with the modifications discussed in detail on this site done to it. I am in the same boat as you I am semi-retired and only powder for myself and through word of mouth. Save your money and invest in a good 2 stage air compressor good quality air filtration such as aqua check (amsoil) and a nice sized quality blasting cabinet (scat blast). Your cabinet has to big enough so that when you blast your media will not destroy your window covering halfway through the part you are blasting. A cabinet where you can blast a Harley primary cover is nice to have as they are simple to powder and a good source of income.
                    Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I guess I must have missed that thread on modifications for the 50Kv gun, would you happen to have a link to it? Thanks again for your input.

Comment

Working...
                    X