Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Urethane black coming out different gloss levels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urethane black coming out different gloss levels?

Although I don't really care that there different I'm interestd as to why. The thick parts (front suspension forged steel control arms) are glossy and the thin sheetmetal is semigloss. This is with the same cook times and the same oven. I did the front of the engine (pulleys/ brackets). They are semigloss. It's seems strage to me. Some of the brackets I had to do one side at a time. So I realize they may be overbaked. But I figure they are still within the safe range.
    Any ideas??/

Re: Urethane black coming out different gloss levels?

The sheetmetal parts are going to get up to temp much quicker than the heavier parts. What you describe sounds as if it could be overbaked. Do you check the part temps with an I.R. temp gun?

Comment

In the future I will use my gun. To be honest I didn't think of it!!!!!! Anyway, other than the color difference (which I don't car that much about) will it affect the durability? That i do care about. I want it to last
      chris

Comment

some powders' gloss levels diminish with time (over cure). check the msds & specs for the powders u are using for the recommended cure schedules. Remember the times fluctuate with temperature & as said thicker or heavier parts take longer to reach cure temps.
        SouthWest Powderworx
        Tyler Nutter
        www.swpowder.com
        myspace/swpowder
        tyler[email protected]
        sigpic

Comment

Does overbake weaken the material?

Comment

Originally posted by ng8264723 View Post
            Does overbake weaken the material?
            If you mean the metal, then no. As far as the powder being overcured it will lose gloss and can become brittle. If you have different thicknesses of substrates try to keep the same thicknesses together.
            Last edited by Harleydad; 10-22-2007, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X