Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceramic coating inside exhaust tubing

Hi,

Was wondering if you guys had any advice regarding ceramic coating the inside of exhaust tubing/headers.

How the heck do I coat the inside of the tubing? I read somewhere that people tape 1 end closed and dump the coating inside of the tubing and then shake it around. This sounds like I'll end up wasting a bunch of the coating. Is there another way? A spray gun/tip that you can fit inside of the tubing? What do the big shops do?

Thanks!

Re: Ceramic coating inside exhaust tubing

The cap and fill method works the best for the home shop. There's really not that much waste if you hang the pipe up and let it drain. (Through a paint filter.) The hard part is curing if the pipe is long.

Comment

Originally posted by CarWiz View Post
      The cap and fill method
      that's how i'd do it.
      Len
      Figure Finishing
      www.FigureEngineering.com
      866-900-4949

Comment

Thanks guys, I guess that's what I will have to do.

Why would a long piece of pipe be hard to cure? Just becasue it can be hard to fit in the oven?

Comment

Yep. A long pipe can make it hard to fit in an oven. Most will angle the pipe diagonally bottom to top and this can give an uneven cure in most ovens. The hot pipe needs to be rotated end-to-end a couple of times. You can see how this could pose a problem with some of the higher cure temp ceramics.

Comment

Regarding cap and fill, just make sure you let it drain fully so you dont have any buildup in any bend of the pipe. This will cause the coating to kinda bubble up inside when curing, and if thoose bubbles brake on a turbo exhaust, well, not good...
            WEIRD Performance & Coatings
            Sweden

Comment

I use a soaked sponge and push it in a a couple times
              I have never tried that cap and fill method

Comment

Working...
              X