Techline Black Satin failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Techline Black Satin failure

I installed Techline Black Satin on a set of exhaust pipes, and two turbo charger housings. The one turbo charger housing started peeling and surface rust was showing - the coating had obviously fallen off in small spots and the metal beneath was rusting. The exhaust pipe on that turbo was also Techline coated and it too started peeling/rusting. I did an exhaust manifold on another vehicle and it too started flaking, as well as that turbo housing.

My prep is exactly what the directions state. I blast the items with glass bead to clean them, then I wash them off with acetone and blast them again with aluminum oxide. I then spray the material using a HPLV gun and let it air dry for 20 - 30 mins and then put it in an oven at 750 - 800 degrees to cure for an hour. What is the problem? I just coated my next turbo housing and its not on the car yet - I fear having to do it all over again.

Thanks,

Jon

Re: Techline Black Satin failure

Hmm, I better go back to one of my customers and see how his Turbo down pipe is holding up. We tried the Shiny cerakrome on it first, that jiut peeled off due to to much heat. So, I got some Satin black for him(had to eat the cost of redo)
    Dan Pesonen
    Bandit Powder Coat <<From Powder to Perfection>>
    Forest Grove, BC Canada

Personal motto:
    "If it ain't broke, modify somethin till it is"

Comment

Originally posted by Banditperformance View Post
      Hmm, I better go back to one of my customers and see how his Turbo down pipe is holding up. We tried the Shiny cerakrome on it first, that jiut peeled off due to to much heat. So, I got some Satin black for him(had to eat the cost of redo)
      Please let me know - I would hate to put my new gigantor turbo on and have it look stupid

Comment

you must start counting the hour once the part has reach the cure temp (750)
        aluminum oxide is recomended to be 80-120 grit
        if the aluminum oxide is old and broken it will leave dust on the surface so you'll have to clean the part with acetone or MEK before coating .

you can also test if the part is really cured is by lightly touching the part ( while in the oven) with a screwdriver , if it leaves a mark it's not cure yet , it should be rock solid .
        these are the only things i can think of right now.

Comment

The finish seems absolutely solid I can scratch at it here on my desk. This turbo hasnt been installed yet and thus has not been tested. But, I'd think that even if I did leave it in for only 45 mins of "up to temp", it surely got cured on the car?

Comment

Originally posted by UrineMachine View Post
            I installed Techline Black Satin on a set of exhaust pipes, and two turbo charger housings. The one turbo charger housing started peeling and surface rust was showing - the coating had obviously fallen off in small spots and the metal beneath was rusting. The exhaust pipe on that turbo was also Techline coated and it too started peeling/rusting. I did an exhaust manifold on another vehicle and it too started flaking, as well as that turbo housing.

My prep is exactly what the directions state. I blast the items with glass bead to clean them, then I wash them off with acetone and blast them again with aluminum oxide. I then spray the material using a HPLV gun and let it air dry for 20 - 30 mins and then put it in an oven at 750 - 800 degrees to cure for an hour. What is the problem? I just coated my next turbo housing and its not on the car yet - I fear having to do it all over again.

Thanks,

Jon

Dont use glass beads.

Mike
            Mike

MJM Powder Coating

Comment

Originally posted by mikmj View Post
              Dont use glass beads.

Mike
              Wrong - I use glass beads to clean the parts, then I aluminum oxide blast it. Please read the whole post.

Comment

Originally posted by UrineMachine View Post
                Wrong - I use glass beads to clean the parts, then I aluminum oxide blast it. Please read the whole post.

I did.........just an idea

Mike
                Mike

MJM Powder Coating

Comment

I have to agree on the glass, you just close the pores with glass, and regardless of using alu oxide after you may still have hammered in the unwanted particles in the material. Never the less, still seems like a double workload to me....
                  WEIRD Performance & Coatings
                  Sweden

Comment

Working...
                  X