2nd Coats Candy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Coats Candy

Does anybody have any tips on getting a good coat with candies or other 2nd coats. I am using a standard and selectable voltage gun rfom caswell and extreme chrome base. I am having problems getting the powder to attract on the 2nd coats. I have tried new grounds and have had only little better sucess. Please let me know if you all have some helpful info. My 1st coats always go on perfect. Thanks...Brian

Re: 2nd Coats Candy

i alway shoot the 2nd coat hot around 120 to 150. this seem to work for me. maybe there is a easier way to shoot it but this is the way i do it. dont put it on to thick or it will run. hope this helps.

Comment

I always shoot my candies at @200. Works out great, just watch your thickness. Hot flocking can build up on you quick.

Comment

Try shooting your first coat a little lighter.still cover the part but it's only the base coat.then shoot ou second coat.thats what i found worked better for me

Comment

hot flocking is a lousy way to shoot!
          SouthWest Powderworx
          Tyler Nutter
          www.swpowder.com
          myspace/swpowder
          [email protected]
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nuttyman View Post
            hot flocking is a lousy way to shoot!

Candies are the only colors i shoot @200. I just can't seem to get them to come out looking right if I don't. Haven't figured out what i'm doing wrong yet. Any suggestions?

Comment

I try not to hot flock anything. when I shoot 2nd, or subsequent coats I always ensure a clean ground & turn the voltage down to 30 & full current on my gun. you really have to pay close attention to how much you are spraying because with candies they tend to build up on the edges & run if they are not sprayed uniformly.
              SouthWest Powderworx
              Tyler Nutter
              www.swpowder.com
              myspace/swpowder
              [email protected]
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I got the idea from reading other posts on here from much more experienced coaters than myself. The first time I tried it, the part came out so much better than previous attempts without heat. It just seems to be a much easier way to do it. Is there any structural disadvantage to doing it hot?

Comment

no there isn't.
                  SouthWest Powderworx
                  Tyler Nutter
                  www.swpowder.com
                  myspace/swpowder
                  [email protected]
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks for some tips. I shot some stuff today and it is just not getting good adhesion. I have tried extreme chrome, near chrome and a silver metallic. I am shooting a freshly coated part so it isn't dirty, but I still have problems. Part might be the candy, but I am sure you all are having success. I don't really know what else to do. Should you clean the part before puttin on the 2nd coat?

Nutty, could it be the fact that i don't have a real expensive gun, I have ground off clean points for contact.

I had real bad results with the near chrome and extreme was better, but this batch of extreme i bought is just as bad as the near was.

Comment

we have an expensive gun and it doesn't really help with candy over a base. i've tried a lot of techniques for shooting over a base aside from hot flocking it (some of our parts are too thin and therefore cool too quickly to hot flock), and the results are always frustrating/disappointing. i only plan to shoot over polished metal from now on. it looks *much* better anyway.
                      Len
                      Figure Finishing
                      www.FigureEngineering.com
                      866-900-4949

Comment

yup. it sure does.
                        SouthWest Powderworx
                        Tyler Nutter
                        www.swpowder.com
                        myspace/swpowder
                        [email protected]
                        sigpic

Comment

I have had good results with my Itw Gema gun on Candy coats and even third coats. The other day I did at set of valve covers with a silver base, candy purple 2nd coat then a supper high gloss clear for the third coat. The Parts came out great. I put the clear coat on cause I sanded and polished down the top fins.

Comment

same here , i also use itw gema (old style PG1) and i am getting good results with 2 , 3 , and even 4 coats (i rarely do 4 coats but have done it a couple of times )
                            but i also agree with what others have said ,candys are much nicer over polishing
                            http://www.peintureenpoudrepb.com
                            http://www.polissagepb.com
                            http://www.powdercoatpb.com
                            baz

Comment

I have always found that shooting 2nd coats with a forced charge gun is very difficult. If I have to do it I make sure that the part is as clean as I can possibly make it (with solvent such as denatured alcohol) and turn the charge down. Touching the part with your hands or leaving ANYTHING on the part can screw up the way it accepts the charge. You have to spray areas ONLY long enough to achieve coverage, but not so long as to get back ionization. If you notice spots of back ionization it's probably contamination either on the part or in the first coat. What has always worked great for me is using a tribo gun (from Intech, but they're no longer in business, I don't think). I've gotten great coverage for up to three or four coats. This is just from my own experience, and I don't often spray with HP powders so I don't have any experience with the "candies" that you're talking about.

Comment

Working...
                              X