Two color powder coat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two color powder coat

I want to apply two colors, semi gloss black and chrome on one piece. Is this easily done? If I coat one color then mask off and coat the other will the tape stick to the previously cured area? Chuck in NH

Re: Two color powder coat

no-just remove it as soon as the 2nd coat flows then put back in the oven & fully cure.
    SouthWest Powderworx
    Tyler Nutter
    www.swpowder.com
    myspace/swpowder
    [email protected]
    sigpic

Comment

Wouldn`t it be best to coat the entire piece with his semi-gloss black first ? It should serve as a good base coat for the chrome.

Comment

the chrome is supposed to be clear coated, so either the chrome would end up semi-gloss or the semi-gloss black would end up gloss. and xtreme chrome is supposed to be fully cured before applying the clear. so without giving it too much thought, i'd think the order would be:

1) chrome base over entire part - full cure
        2) gloss clear over entire part - partial cure till flow out
        3) apply mask, shoot black
        4) partial cure til flow out of black, remove mask
        5) fully cure.

is that about right?
        Len
        Figure Finishing
        www.FigureEngineering.com
        866-900-4949

Comment

that's what Isaid. the tape won't stick to the black if removed when the chrome flows. chrome powders always look better over gloss black bases. they just do.
          SouthWest Powderworx
          Tyler Nutter
          www.swpowder.com
          myspace/swpowder
          [email protected]
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nuttyman View Post
            chrome powders always look better over gloss black bases. they just do.
            oh, i never tried that!
            Len
            Figure Finishing
            866-900-4949

Comment

Thanks for all the advice! I'm working on a 56 Ford instrument cluster and would want to keep the semi gloss black to roughly match the rest of the dash. The rest will be painted. So it sound like I should do the whole thing chrome first, clear it (I can probably avoid the upper surface during the clear process) Mask it and then semi gloss the rest. It's sure worth a try! Thanks again. Chuck in NH

PS, anyone out there near Manchester, NH with a larger oven? I have an old wall oven that will take up to 14" rims but I have a couple of larger items I want to coat. Thanks! Chuck in NH

Comment

Originally posted by FigureLLC View Post
                oh, i never tried that!
                next time you do a chrome shoot a gloss black base & give it about a 1/2 cure. it works well that way.
                SouthWest Powderworx
                Tyler Nutter
                www.swpowder.com
                myspace/swpowder
                [email protected]
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FigureLLC View Post
                  the chrome is supposed to be clear coated, so either the chrome would end up semi-gloss or the semi-gloss black would end up gloss. and xtreme chrome is supposed to be fully cured before applying the clear. so without giving it too much thought, i'd think the order would be:

1) chrome base over entire part - full cure
                  2) gloss clear over entire part - partial cure till flow out
                  3) apply mask, shoot black
                  4) partial cure til flow out of black, remove mask
                  5) fully cure.

is that about right?
                  If I understand this right you're going to apply the masking to a partially cured clear?

Comment

I would theorize...that IF you're not very careful about making sure that the flow stage is completely finished (with the clear coat) that the masking may leave an imprint on it when you put it back in the oven for the black to flow. I've been told that the best way to ensure adhesion between layers is to only partially cure the first layer and then leave the part bake until fully cured for the second (or final) layer. I've never really tested this theory, but it would seem to make for dangerous handling before the second spraying. What is the reasoning for only partial cure with the clear coat?

Comment

Originally posted by Harleydad View Post
                      If I understand this right you're going to apply the masking to a partially cured clear?
                      that's what i would try. no good? i've admittedly never masked over clear, but other colors i haven't experienced problems with. the only difference i've noticed about partial cures is they chip when abused. regular handling, masking, cleaning, i haven't seen a difference. i do see a difference in the finished adhesion (in the form of chipping under special conditions) when applying a top coat over a fully cured base coat when i smack it repeatedly with a hammer.

edit: if i'm wrong it wouldn't be the first thing i learned in this thread!
                      Last edited by FigureLLC; 01-11-2008, 06:00 AM. Reason: addition
                      Len
                      Figure Finishing
                      866-900-4949

Comment

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I guess I've never heard of applying masking to partially cured powder. It would scare me a bit. I suppose it would depend on what partially cured is. Like PCT said, be sure the flow stage is complete?

Comment

Working...
                        X