Barn Fresh 1940 Indian Chief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barn Fresh 1940 Indian Chief

Here's a picture of a job on the go.Old american iron and cast iron!

More to follow...

Re: Barn Fresh 1940 Indian Chief

[email protected] job bro! I did a '66 Triumph recently.
    SouthWest Powderworx
    Tyler Nutter
    www.swpowder.com
    myspace/swpowder
    [email protected]
    sigpic

Comment

sweet....be sure to post progress pics.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffL View Post
        sweet....be sure to post progress pics.
        Without a doubt. I'd love to see that when it's done.

Comment

Started on the indian today. I laid some caswell primer and tiger series 39 black.Here are some pictures.The only part I will have to recoat is a small bracket at the front which is about as thin as 22 guage steel and big time coroded.

I will start on the girder front end tommorow.
          More to follow...

Comment

Well allright!Here are more pictures for you guys.Check out the kickstand,it's made out of bronze! I didn't even outgas these parts,I just used caswell's ogf additive and cleaned real well prior to blasting.No gas left after 68 years,so the term old fart is shot to hell!

The picture quality leaves to be desired due to my old camera (1.3 megapixels) More to follow...

Comment

Just my opinion........you should of just cleared the brass parts.

Comment

customer get what customer want. i'm sure!
                SouthWest Powderworx
                Tyler Nutter
                www.swpowder.com
                myspace/swpowder
                [email protected]
                sigpic

Comment

When you said you laid some Caswell primer, are you referring to Iron Phosphate Primer, or are you referring to some type of powder primer?

Comment

Good day,yes I used a zinc rich powder primer,which is visible in the first picture.This bike will not be an exact repo as it will be ridden and modernized a little.(eg.front disc brake)The color is a glossy black,as opposed to the semi gloss used back in 1940.I finally did the girder front end with the leaf spring. The leafspring weighs about 50 pounds and was in the oven for 1 and 1/2 hours. I used alot of lab metal on the front end and it came out like new.Too bad my camera can't show the details.

Comment

i'm excited to see this built up. looks like it's coming out nice! great work!
                      Len
                      Figure Finishing
                      www.FigureEngineering.com
                      866-900-4949

Comment

I have a customer that is always in the market for old Harley parts. If anyone has any for sale, let me know, he might take them off your hands.
                        -Powder Plus

Comment

Worked on the Indian today.Did a little outgassing/outgreasing.I outgassed the frame in the opposite position of the final bake so all the grease would flow out the neck. picture included.I would say about a pound flowed out.I even had to disconnect the rear element when the grease caught on fire. This grease is mixed in with dirt and other unknowns and is practically impossible to remove when cold.Tommorow I will outgas once again in final bake position to try to remove all this nasty grease.More to follow...

Comment

Well the end has finally come. The chief is once again on the war path.
                            I had to build a jig for my frame and $200 later here it is.I was finally able to fire my disgruntled employee (my wife) and once again be a one man show!

I'll post a pic of the finished indian next,and my version of lessons learned when doing these kinds of jobs.More to follow...

Comment

So here are a few tips from the Indian restoration.What I learned and might help others when doing such a job are:
                              - The leaf spring is almost impossible to coat assembled because of all the **** between the blades that I just wasn't able to remove either chemically, blasting or outgassing.
                              -What seems to be metal is actually 60 year old grease that can only be removed by heating and instantly hardens when cooling.
                              -Lab metal became my friend.I feathered it down with 600 grit sand paper than went over it with steel wool to get it super shiny than I ever so lightly went over it with 320 grit to help the powder adhere better.
                              All the bolt holes should be left uncoved and powdered. (I didn't) I find it's better to retap the holes as most of the holes are a little slack or the threads almost absent.

Comment

Working...
                              X