What the he** is this!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the he** is this!?!

I'm using chrome powder on a valve cover and I'm getting these lines in it. Anyone ever had this problem? Thanks!

Kevin - 94t MR2 - 93 Celica
    http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...s/STLMR2-1.jpg

Re: What the he** is this!?!

What type of metal are the vc's? New or used? How did you prep them?

Comment

most of the time it's over build , to much powder

Comment

Re: What the heck is this!?!

This is a used valve cover from a 4 cylinder Toyota. Basically, to prep, I used degreaser, prepsol (which I dont think works at all). I find it easier to warm the part up, then start blasting. The oil flakes off real well. then I let it soak in my sink of hot water (to eliminate any glass bead on the underside). I'll dry it off the best I can, then spray with primer. Let the primer dry, then put in the oven and preheat. Then spray the powder. This particular valve cover I had to put two coats on because powder didnt get an area very well and it pitted. So I just filled it in with another layer. I'm thinking the powder is too heavy as already stated. THAT or the fact I left it in the oven too long, which I do not know if is a possible issue. I didnt time it to the minute. So it could have gotten an extra 5 minutes on accident. I just never had this problem on any other color. So I dont get it.

Comment

black94t,

The glass bead is ultimately going to give you problems.
          When you stated primer, are you talking about paint? Did you outgas the valve cover? Are you using an IR thermometer to check the temperature of the valve cover for timing your cure?

John

Comment

too much powder & the oven is too hot when the part goes in.
            SouthWest Powderworx
            Tyler Nutter
            www.swpowder.com
            myspace/swpowder
            [email protected]
            sigpic

Comment

Too hot? 400* too hot? should I be starting cure at a much lower temp, them amp it up (like one would for ceramic coating)??

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm currently putting another light layer on completely cooled.

Comment

if it is sprayed that thick then yes. just don't spray it so thick & you'll be fine.
                SouthWest Powderworx
                Tyler Nutter
                www.swpowder.com
                myspace/swpowder
                [email protected]
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks Tyler. The problem with doing a light layer is it beads up in corners and along edges. I've been told that it's the oil in the valve cover deflecting the powder, but I try to get it as clean as possible. I just dont know how people are getting their used parts as clean and clear almost as if it was new. I simply cant for some reason (I'm still trying to figure out). Anyway, I put a light layer on while the VC was completely cool. 400* and around 20 minutes of baking time. It flowed out around the 6-7 minute mark and so it had 13-15 minutes of baking after flow out. Check it out.

Comment

that looks good. I always use a black base coat underneath chromes.
                    SouthWest Powderworx
                    Tyler Nutter
                    www.swpowder.com
                    myspace/swpowder
                    [email protected]
                    sigpic

Comment

Well that might be my problem then. I hate putting so much expensive powder down. What do you think of white for a base coat? powder is cheap and readily available here. That way, I can get a good durable layer of white or black and then put a light top coat of the good stuff on top. Great idea.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by jrow View Post
                        black94t,

The glass bead is ultimately going to give you problems.
                        When you stated primer, are you talking about paint? Did you outgas the valve cover? Are you using an IR thermometer to check the temperature of the valve cover for timing your cure?

John
                        Why do you say that the glass bead will ultimately cause problems? Glass bead vs. other media, or do you mean blasting an aluminum valve cover in general?

Comment

Working...
                        X