Quoting Powder Coat Jobs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoting Powder Coat Jobs

We have been powder coating for over 10 years now. But is has always been for our own products. We have been getting allot of people wanting us to powder coat their parts and now the word is getting out that we can do it. My problem is that I don't know how to charge correctly for the part. I know how to charge for the surface preparation and the cost that it cost me to run the oven each run. If any one has a chart of some parts or pricing concepts I would be very grateful.

Re: Quoting Powder Coat Jobs

I have some quote software I use for quoting things I've not done before. You can go here:
    Custom Powder Coating - US, Canada, International Powder Coater Directory
    Page down and click on your state. Some of the custom coaters listed in your area may have a web site with a price list. It'll get ya in the ballpark.

Comment

That is really tough to do.. Make a list i mean..

I usually go by the foot.. $45 per foot square..

The more parts i do, the cheaper the overall price..

I times candy colors and 2nd coating prices by 1.5
      Halfbakedcoatings.com

Comment

Thanks for your help

Comment

$45 per sq. ft!!!!!!! are you kidding ?!!! companies around me charge $4 per sq. ft.
          SouthWest Powderworx
          Tyler Nutter
          www.swpowder.com
          myspace/swpowder
          tyler@swpowder.com
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nuttyman View Post
            $45 per sq. ft!!!!!!! are you kidding ?!!! companies around me charge $4 per sq. ft.
            I noticed that also and just about chit my drawers.

Comment

Ya $45/SqFt. I SOOOO Wish. I mostly charge by the hr right now. Customers give me parts in various stages of clenlieness, so, the dirtier they are, more time I need to spend cleaning/prep/ Others, acctually send me blasted and pre treated pieces so all I do is spray and bake. When doing hourly, the its all reflected.

I love that Custom Coaters.com website, I am first in the list for BC Canada HAHAHA
              http://www.customcoaters.com/html/b_c_.html
              Dan Pesonen
              Bandit Powder Coat <<From Powder to Perfection>>
              Forest Grove, BC Canada

Personal motto:
              "If it ain't broke, modify somethin till it is"

Comment

When i say $45 per square foot, i am including degreasing, and sandblasting of parts.. (lets say $45-60 for a Wheel)

Not just spraying a part and throwing it in the oven..

Most stuff i do is already powder coated and must be stripped and takes great deal of time and detail to recoat..

I think its really hard to make money doing any powder coating as it is, unless you have a HUGE oven and a conveier with a contract with a company..

Ive heard of some companys powder coating a valve cover with candy colors for only $45.. Hell by the time you degrease it, sandblast it , preheat the part and coat it twice you got 2hrs in it.. (HOW DO YOU MAKE MONEY DOING THAT)

Ive seen alot of companys that price out the job assuming the parts are bare, and dont need blasting..

I on the other hand have only had 1 out of a 1000 people actually tell me there part was sandblasted and only needed to be coated.. THats why i price out the job with degreasing and blasting included..

Brian
                Last edited by welterracer; 06-01-2008, 08:07 PM.
                Halfbakedcoatings.com

Comment

Hello,

I'm consulting with a growing coatings company in Houston. They do hundreds of quotes in an excel spreadsheet/word now. They are looking for software to help automate their quote process. I am not a coatings expert but I do realize that this is a very specialized type of quote. The software would not only need to store and index the quoted information by company, job, type of coating, etc. but the individual quote must be able to handle various types, methods and material. Other features they are looking for include:

Windows server based software
                  Searchable by many combinations of fields
                  Able to convert into a "current" job status
                  Link with QuickBooks

Anyone know of such a program?

What are you using to quote various coating jobs?

Do any of the off the shelf packages work?

Customized solutions available?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Jeana

Comment

Jeana,
                    Try contacting these people.
                    Society of Manufacturing Engineers
                    My software (which is for the painting/powder industry) was obtained through them.

Comment

Well, HD beat me to it. I treat PC just like paint. When an estimate is done for paint, I break down the job into application and material. If it's a single panel/piece or clear coat, additional time is added to cover setup and extra clear material. Additional pieces don't get the setup time, just the application time. The material is charged out based on time. Body work (or prep in this case) is a different line item all together and charged at a different rate than the paint/PC work. It includes labor and shop materials to make the item ready to coat or paint. One valve cover may take 15 minutes to prep while the next may take two hours due to rust and dents. The coating time and material may be the same for both--Only the prep is different.

I don't see how you can give a flat rate or menu price for items unless you make the price high enough to cover your average/mean costs of labor and material to make a part ready to coat. On some items, you're screwing a customer on others you're loosing your shirt. I also don't follow how someone could charge $45/sq.ft. then turn around and do an automotive wheel for $60. There's about 3 1/2 square feet in a 15" wheel. And, I think you'd loose my business if you charged me $90 to coat both sides of a square and flat piece of new sheet metal that I wanted to make into a clipboard.

Comment

Originally posted by CarWiz View Post
                        Well, HD beat me to it. I treat PC just like paint. When an estimate is done for paint, I break down the job into application and material. If it's a single panel/piece or clear coat, additional time is added to cover setup and extra clear material. Additional pieces don't get the setup time, just the application time. The material is charged out based on time. Body work (or prep in this case) is a different line item all together and charged at a different rate than the paint/PC work. It includes labor and shop materials to make the item ready to coat or paint. One valve cover may take 15 minutes to prep while the next may take two hours due to rust and dents. The coating time and material may be the same for both--Only the prep is different.

I don't see how you can give a flat rate or menu price for items unless you make the price high enough to cover your average/mean costs of labor and material to make a part ready to coat. On some items, you're screwing a customer on others you're loosing your shirt. I also don't follow how someone could charge $45/sq.ft. then turn around and do an automotive wheel for $60. There's about 3 1/2 square feet in a 15" wheel. And, I think you'd loose my business if you charged me $90 to coat both sides of a square and flat piece of new sheet metal that I wanted to make into a clipboard.
                        The difference obviously between some of you and i, is that i restore parts for people.. I take old parts, strip, sandblast, degrease and recoat the parts.. I do not ever work on new bare metal. (im not that lucky)

Sure if i had to just shoot a single coat of powder on a brand new piece of metal i could charge $4 a foot (in a perfect world) but i also have to take into effect that i am dealing with people on the internet, who would rather take there parts to someone locally than to pay shipping both ways to me..

Alot of the times i do things cheaper than i bet any of you would..

I once spent 10+ hours sandblasting some old car parts and another 4-6hrs coating and recoating them for a measly $350, when i should have charged $600-700

Everyone i deal will not send me there parts, allow me to do the work and then decide what im going to charge them.. THey would laugh at the idea.. therefore i make a good guess, and i stick with the price wheather it takes me 10min or 10 hours..

all the websites ive been on, everyone charges extra for stripping, degreasing and sandblasting. Some wont even work on anything unless it comes to them already stripped, (ya, like most people even have a method of removing old powder coating or paint). I include it in my prices for FREE.. This way there are no hidden costs and i dont **** off the customers.. And so far this has worked for me..

THe one thing i know is people are getting smarter, they dont just drop off there parts to just anyone, they price shop and always pick the cheapest guy, and then drill that person to do the best work they can perform for that money..

But im still trying to figure out how i can make a true $40 an hour profit, instead of $10-20

I do alot of snowmobile parts.. I charge $100 to degrease, sandblast and coat 4 snowmoible A-arms.. Ive quoted other shops and they want twice that or more because of the energy involved to get the old powder and grease off! One shop i quoted actually wanted $250+ shipping to do the same job i did for $150..

Enough of the rant.

Piece OUT.. LOL

Brian
                        Halfbakedcoatings.com

Comment

I got a free document from powder buy the pound on how to quote pc jobs on a pdf file. You might ask them to send it to you

Comment

Originally posted by welterracer View Post
                            The difference obviously between some of you and i, is that i restore parts for people.. I take old parts, strip, sandblast, degrease and recoat the parts.. I do not ever work on new bare metal. (im not that lucky)

Sure if i had to just shoot a single coat of powder on a brand new piece of metal i could charge $4 a foot (in a perfect world) but i also have to take into effect that i am dealing with people on the internet, who would rather take there parts to someone locally than to pay shipping both ways to me..

Alot of the times i do things cheaper than i bet any of you would..

I once spent 10+ hours sandblasting some old car parts and another 4-6hrs coating and recoating them for a measly $350, when i should have charged $600-700

Everyone i deal will not send me there parts, allow me to do the work and then decide what im going to charge them.. THey would laugh at the idea.. therefore i make a good guess, and i stick with the price wheather it takes me 10min or 10 hours..

all the websites ive been on, everyone charges extra for stripping, degreasing and sandblasting. Some wont even work on anything unless it comes to them already stripped, (ya, like most people even have a method of removing old powder coating or paint). I include it in my prices for FREE.. This way there are no hidden costs and i dont **** off the customers.. And so far this has worked for me..

THe one thing i know is people are getting smarter, they dont just drop off there parts to just anyone, they price shop and always pick the cheapest guy, and then drill that person to do the best work they can perform for that money..

But im still trying to figure out how i can make a true $40 an hour profit, instead of $10-20

I do alot of snowmobile parts.. I charge $100 to degrease, sandblast and coat 4 snowmoible A-arms.. Ive quoted other shops and they want twice that or more because of the energy involved to get the old powder and grease off! One shop i quoted actually wanted $250+ shipping to do the same job i did for $150..

Enough of the rant.

Piece OUT.. LOL

Brian
                            I am in the same boat, Brian. Quote over internet and then have to stick with it. Like some Bike parts I did reciently. Charged customer $400 after loking at some pictures. Once parts came, there was over $400 worth of work. I ate my shirt on that one. BUT, hes sending more stuff, so, It gained a long term client I think.

What I have been doing now is telling customers a rough estimate, but also telling them that I charge BY THE HR, not the piece. So, if they give me some greasy part, they will pay more for me to clean it, so the final total will vary with the parts condition. Since I have done that. most people give me darn near spotless pieces. Some even have them sandblasted first. So I just de-oil and touch up with my sandblaster and spray.

personally, I love it when they do most of the cleaning prep. Then I just get the gravy of spraying After all, Im a Powdercoater, not a parts washer LOL
                            Dan Pesonen
                            Bandit Powder Coat <<From Powder to Perfection>>
                            Forest Grove, BC Canada

Personal motto:
                            "If it ain't broke, modify somethin till it is"

Comment

Originally posted by Harleydad View Post
                              I have some quote software I use for quoting things I've not done before. You can go here:
                              Custom Powder Coating - US, Canada, International Powder Coater Directory
                              Page down and click on your state. Some of the custom coaters listed in your area may have a web site with a price list. It'll get ya in the ballpark.
                              Harleydad,
                              Is the software you spoke about available to buy? I am real interested in having some type of guideline to follow. Thanks for your time and God Bless!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X