Announcement

Collapse

CASWELD Our new 'Welding' rods

Introducing our latest range of Welding and brazing rods, for the repair of Pot Metal, Aluminum, Stainless and much more.

Please see our web page for details.

http://www.caswellplating.com/restor...ding-rods.html

These products replace the range of Muggyweld and Technoweld products we used to sell.
See more
See less

Single-stage "Chrome" powder, who makes it?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single-stage "Chrome" powder, who makes it?

I see ****wood selling it. I don't see it in Tiger or DuPont's selections.
    Anyone know? I'd really like to have it on-hand at the shop.
    Thanks!

Re: Single-stage "Chrome" powder, who makes it?

I believe NIC (Prismatic Powders) has one as does Powder Buy the Pound.

Powder Buy The Pound

Comment

Please don't be fooled by marketing ploys - there is no such thing as single stage chrome powder.

All chrome powders can be used as a single stage - but they lack proper UV protection and WILL oxidize over time.

If you look at the web site referenced in the last post, they recommend putting a clear coat over their "single stage". How can you call a powder "single stage" and yet recommend that you clear it It's marketing jargon, and it's deceptive.

All metallic powders should be clear coated for best results and durability. The metallic flake in these powders corrodes if it's not protected.

Caveat emptor!
      --
      Lance Caswell
      Caswell Inc
      http://www.caswellplating.com
      Need Support? Visit our online support section at http://support.caswellplating.com

Please support the moderators on our site by leaving reputation for their helpful posts. Read more here.

Comment

Originally posted by lcaswell View Post
        Please don't be fooled by marketing ploys - there is no such thing as single stage chrome powder.

All chrome powders can be used as a single stage - but they lack proper UV protection and WILL oxidize over time.

If you look at the web site referenced in the last post, they recommend putting a clear coat over their "single stage". How can you call a powder "single stage" and yet recommend that you clear it It's marketing jargon, and it's deceptive.

All metallic powders should be clear coated for best results and durability. The metallic flake in these powders corrodes if it's not protected.

Caveat emptor!
        I was going to post that same info concerning single stage chromes, but when I tell people they need to clear the ss chromes it starts a big ****'n match. I personally clear all metallic powders, period.

Comment

yeah, I saw that side note later. Pretty lame, thanks guys!

Comment

NIC also recommends a clear.

Comment

when you say clear coat what method do you mean?

regular old fashion compressor and paint gun with liquid clear coating paint?

Best regards
              atheos_mb

Comment

Originally posted by atheos_mb View Post
                when you say clear coat what method do you mean?

regular old fashion compressor and paint gun with liquid clear coating paint?

Best regards
                atheos_mb
                No, there are various clear powders to choose from.

Comment

Originally posted by Harleydad View Post
                  I believe NIC (Prismatic Powders) has one as does Powder Buy the Pound.

Powder Buy The Pound
                  I see here they also recommend a clear coat on their single stage chrome...I have used both the SS chrome and the Ultimate chrome from them. They Ultimate chrome is the best I have seen yet, even better then NIC's so I quess I will stick with the Ultimate Chrome ..

Comment

I am just getting into powder coating and need some help.

Just courous as to what is the most durable clear coat to use on the caswell extreme chrome powder.

I just ordered the extreme chrome and didn't know at the time that I needed clear.

Comment

They are all about the same durability - our Super High Gloss Clear seems to be the most popular.
                      --
                      Lance Caswell
                      Caswell Inc
                      Need Support? Visit our online support section at http://support.caswellplating.com

Please support the moderators on our site by leaving reputation for their helpful posts. Read more here.

Comment

Quick question regarding the various Chrome powders available:

Caswell stock both the Super Chrome and the Xtreme Chrome.

Judging by the submitted pictures, the "Xtreme Chrome" looks to be more shiny & chrome-like whereas the "Super Chrome" looks more of a bright silver.

Can anyone confirm this before I order some in?

Thanks,
                        Marcus

EDIT: Also, whats with the massive difference in price between the two?
                        Last edited by marcus000; 10-30-2008, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Just took delivery of some Xtreme Chrome powder, looks like this in the tin.

Comment

i used some "reflective chrome" on some pieces and it looked spectacular...then i cleared it and it didn't look chrome anymore and lost it's luster

Comment

Originally posted by alecracing View Post
                              i used some "reflective chrome" on some pieces and it looked spectacular...then i cleared it and it didn't look chrome anymore and lost it's luster
                              This is caused by under cure of the chrome coat. Double your cure time and the problem will be solved.
                              --
                              Lance Caswell
                              Caswell Inc

Comment

Working...
                              X