Announcement

Collapse

CASWELD Our new 'Welding' rods

Introducing our latest range of Welding and brazing rods, for the repair of Pot Metal, Aluminum, Stainless and much more.

Please see our web page for details.

http://www.caswellplating.com/restor...ding-rods.html
See more
See less

Single-stage "Chrome" powder, who makes it?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Single-stage "Chrome" powder, who makes it?

Single and maybe easy doubt! When u refer to applying clear coat on the chrome powder, u mean after curing the chrome, coat some clear then curing again?

Comment

What is Ultimate Chrome? I use Super Chrome now. Is there something better?

Comment

Originally posted by antny616 View Post
        Ultimate Chrome is a powder carried by Powder Buy the Pound.

Powder Buy The Pound

Comment

I had a problem with my oven and had to stop coating for the past week...

I have never used the Extreme Chrome before but had just ordered it and got asked by a customer to do it for him...

Being the smart business man i am i took it to my local professional powder coater, and it came back very silver looking....I have seen some of your results and lets say this looks nothing like what the finished product looks like

Any ideas as to what he might have done wrong to turn it sliver?

Comment

By double the cure time, are you talking about the chrome coat or the clear coat? I thought that might darken it by exposing it to too much heat. I read that you should fully cure the chrome, let it cool to room temp then apply the clear. Should I be doubling the cure time for the chrome or clear? Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by stevedwnng View Post
              By double the cure time, are you talking about the chrome coat or the clear coat? I thought that might darken it by exposing it to too much heat. I read that you should fully cure the chrome, let it cool to room temp then apply the clear. Should I be doubling the cure time for the chrome or clear? Thanks for the info.
              On the chrome, not the clear.

Comment

Thanks Harley.

Comment

Clears are the most susceptible to over curing by time and temp so you should never do it. Most other powders can be over cured by 100% (in time)without issue. I just shot some sample panels with PBTP Patent Ultimate Chrome and then cleared with SD Crystal Clear and there is little noticable differance. It may take up to 2 years for the chromes to start to oxidize, but they will show fingerprints and smudges that will need to cleaned often. I'm still waiting for a test of Chromes that have been waxed.
                  www.creativecandy.org

Comment

After reading the write up on the Extreme Chrome I followed the recommendations on the sticky. Invest in an IR temp gun. I got a really nice one thru the tool guy at work. 392 degrees for 30 min, allow to cool to room temp, reheat to 150 degrees, and then clear as normal. With the lower temp and longer cure time there was a huge improvement. I am doing several pieces in Extreme Chrome for a customer and this allowed me to have a constant color on all the pieces. Helps when you have smaller pieces and can coat and cure multiple pieces at the same time. Just having the IR gun made all the difference. It helps to know exactly what the part temp actually is. I just got the EZ50 gun and I'm able to get a uniform coat. I was using the Eastwood Hot Coat and Chicago type hobby guns before and it was difficult to get a uniform thickness. There would be splotches and dark areas. The EZ50 uses ALOT less powder and sprays a nice even cloud. As anyone done any chrome using a black base coat?

Comment

I would have to respectfully disagree with your statement. I have not found any chrome that doesnt lose its pop after clearing it. It has nothing to do with the cure time of the chrome. I have tried several differant chrome and clear combinations and all the chromes look great till you put clear on them and take away all the "pop" they had and turn a shiney silver instead.
                      Originally posted by lcaswell View Post
                      This is caused by under cure of the chrome coat. Double your cure time and the problem will be solved.
                      www.creativecandy.org

Comment

I've done a lot of chrome PC work over the past few years and always see the luster somewhat diminish after clearcoating. It looks more like polished aluminum, but it still looks very nice and my customers like it a lot.

As far as single stage chrome goes, I won't touch it again. I used CC's all-in-one chrome a number of times and found that it was easily stained by the mildest of cleaners. I also found out that if you just touch it with a dab of car wax, it immediately turns blue. I mentioned this to the manager a while back and he suggested clearcoating it. () Since they advertise it as not needing a clear topcoat, they're misleading. I regret using it on a swingarm on one of my own bikes. Live and learn.

Comment

Does anyone know whats going on with Prismatic's Super chrome? I heard their manufacturer stopped making it or selling it to them. That was the best chrome I could find

Comment

It's My favorite too, but It has been said that they have a problem with raw materials to make that powder... They are considered somewhat the "Manufacturer"...
                            sigpic

See photos of my work on Facebook "Scottrods Powder Coating"

EMAIL [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by antny616 View Post

The Ultimate is way much better for your chrome powder coating. I have been using it.
                              Premium powder coating systems, equipment, tools & supplies for any application including batch & automated options. Latest machines for perfect solutions.

Comment

Working...
                              X