Camo valvecover

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camo valvecover

I was on one of my auto forums and a member in the military asked if his valvecover could be coated in a CAMOUFLAGE pattern,He was told it could not be done .Well that got me thinking that if you think far enough outside the envelope ,anything can be possible .So I acquired some powder from Caswell and set to work.I went to Walmart and bought a childs camo tshirt and then headed to the print shop where I had 4 copies of the pattern made, 1 in color for a referance and 3 in black and white . I cut out each color pattern from the 3 b/w copies ,laid each one over a peice of vynil lettering material and sprayed flat black paint over each pattern. I then cut out each pattern by hand and was ready to shoot some powder .I knew this would be tricky as I didnt want to lift the stencil after shooting in fear of disrupting the powder on the pattern onto the piece. So I shot the base coat ,baked it to full flow and let it cool .Then I applied the 1st pattern and shot the first color ,I then baked it till it just started to flow and removed it from the oven .I was then able to remove the pattern with out dropping any POWDER on the piece and not leave any adhesive from the pattern on the piece. I then popped it back in the oven till full flow .I repeated this procedure on the 2nd and 3rd colors and baked till full flow .This allowed there to be no sharp edges on the differant color overlaps. I can improve this on the next cover ,but this first one one came out pretty sweet for never having done this before,yes this was time consuming and a PIA ,but ultimately worth it as some one will end up with the 1st powdercoated camo valve cover in the world.

Last edited by o1racing03; 07-14-2008, 01:16 AM.
    www.creativecandy.org

Re: Camo valvecover

All I can say is, Excellent Work and equal patience! Welcome to the Forum.
    Did you by chance Clear it after you got it completed? That would make it super smooth.
    Who says you can't teach an ole dog new tricks?

Comment

Originally posted by JTW37 View Post
      All I can say is, Excellent Work and equal patience! Welcome to the Forum.
      Did you by chance Clear it after you got it completed? That would make it super smooth.
      No ,I didnt clear it , there are a few spots where some powder got under the stencil and needs to be sanded off and I could do some more sanding on the edges of overlap of the colors ,but this was just a demo piece to see if it could be done .If someone else wants one done like this I will take the extra steps to complete it.
      www.creativecandy.org

Comment

I talked to you originally about your idea. I was wondering how you were making out with the project. I can't seem to view the pics, could you email them to me at jason@caswellplating.com.

Thanks,
        Jason
        --
        Jason Vanderbroek
        315 946 1213 x116
        www.caswellplating.com

Comment

First I want to say excellent work!!! And great thinking! I have been messing around with a similar project not camo but the same concept of laying multiple colors and you beat me to the final result. I'm glad to know my that it works i will try it again soon. Thank you for the assurance, I too was thinking it might not be possible, but was not ready to give up.

Jim@CPK

Comment

Originally posted by jwilbert View Post
            I talked to you originally about your idea. I was wondering how you were making out with the project. I can't seem to view the pics, could you email them to me at jason@caswellplating.com.

Thanks,
            Jason
            The pics are up when I view the thread here ,dont know why you cant see them on your own site , but more have been forwarded to your email .
            www.creativecandy.org

Comment

baller! fantastic work!
              Len
              Figure Finishing
              www.FigureEngineering.com
              866-900-4949

Comment

Working...
              X