Black Chrome

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Chrome

I have been testing Caswells Black Chrome, and With much success comes one non success. I applied it over polished stainless, milled stainless, Polished alum, milled alum, blasted alum, and blasted steel with great results. I used another method they say can be used. Applying over extreme chrome. The extreme chrome came out way better than I thought it would, so I fully cured the extreme chrome, and let it set for a day. Came in the next day and heated the test piece to 150 deg shot the black chrome baked it and took it out. On all the other black chrome parts it was a deep reflective black and when it was on the extreme chrome it looked like a light blue. I thought that I put a good coat on it but I don't know what else it could be. Has anyone tried this method with "Black Chrome" results? If so how? Thanks for the help.

Re: Black Chrome

how did you get the powder to stick to the stainless?, it has a very low conductivity

Comment

Stainless Steel is still a conductor. I still pre-warmed the stainless to make sure the bead blasting and polishing residue was to the surface. I then wiped it with acetone put it back in the oven for about 10 min to a surface temp of 250deg took it out waited till surface temp was to about 150deg, shot the black chrome, put it into the oven for about 15min after pt was up to 375deg, and let it cool in the oven with the door open. I think this was the best outcome I had with it. But I still can't get the Black Chrome to look right over Extreme Chrome. I am trying to get some good pics of the Black Chrome but it's a PITA to get a good one.

Comment

I've not used the Black Chrome yet, but have used plenty of Extreme with a clear coat. I had great results doing close to what your doing with one exception. I'm guessing the black is a transparent color. If this is the case, try this on your next test. When you put it back in the oven to heat it for your coat of black bring it to 180, let it cool to room temp, then apply your black chrome. Then throw it back in oven for a normal cure cycle. I found this to work and the Extreme keeps it's chrome look much better, which may give you the effect that you want. The Extreme don't seem to like hot flocking to well.
        Who says you can't teach an ole dog new tricks?

Comment

I will try that next time. Yes the Black Chrome is transparent. I will say that the black chrome is in my mind the best looking pc I have ever seen. It's not like a candy or a lollipop, it's in a league of it's own.

Comment

Working...
          X