new to powder coating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to powder coating

i am looking to buy a powder coating machine this week but i have a few questions.

1. when you spaying the powder does it make a mess (alot of over spay)
    2. what is better a propane lamp or a ir lamp
    3. what should i look for in a used oven

Thanks

It's a little messy, but not too bad. It's definitely a garage project and not a basement or kitchen job. For small parts, I've been putting them in a box and "dusting" them. The more calm the air is, the less mess. Don't use too much air pressure when applying the powder. About 10 lbs seems to work good for me. The excess powder can be swept or vacuumed easily, so it's not much of a problem, but you wouldn't want it floating around the inside of your house.

I don't understand your question about a propane lamp or air lamp.

I garbage picked an old oven. As long as the elements work and it will hold a consistent temperature, it should work fine. Make sure it's electric and not gas. I got lucky and found a '70s era double oven (over and under). Had to replace one element, and it's 100%. Small items go in the smaller upper oven, bigger parts in the lower oven, and batches in both ovens together. I bought oven thermometers at the local hardware store so I could adjust my curing temperature accurately. Glass windows in the oven doors make it easier to see what's going on.

I'm having a lot of fun using my kit. I do mostly car parts. Sandblast, dust with powder, and bake in oven. I've had great results, and can't wait to do more. Good luck!

Hemi-T

Comment

I think he's referring to a propane lamp or an IR lamp. You need to be very careful using any curing source that has an active flame or spark. The powder in the air can create an explosive environment. See previous posts for discussion on this topic. IR lamps are much safer.
      --
      Mike Caswell
      Caswell Inc
      http://www.caswellplating.com
      Need Support? Visit our online support section at http://support.caswellplating.com

Comment

Working...
      X