bike frames with graphics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bike frames with graphics

here is a frame i did last week. NIC flag red with white airbrushed graphics and caswell gloss clear powder top coat. red from the base sublimated into the white paint and made it pinkish, but the customer still liked it.
    Attached Files
    Len
    Figure Finishing
    www.FigureEngineering.com
    866-900-4949

Re: bike frames with graphics

the blue one is PBTP mirror blue with white-on-black airbrushed graphics and caswell gloss clear powder top coat.
    Attached Files
    Len
    Figure Finishing
    866-900-4949

Comment

the green is caswell illusion emerald (over caswell super wet black) with pearl gold-on-black airbrushed graphics and caswell gloss clear.
      Attached Files
      Len
      Figure Finishing
      866-900-4949

Comment

Looks really good! I can only imagine the time involved on those.

Comment

Originally posted by Blazin_Jason View Post
          Looks really good! I can only imagine the time involved on those.
          thanks! it certainly wasn't profitable... lots of un-do and re-do action in each of those.
          Len
          Figure Finishing
          866-900-4949

Comment

Looks great, I am getting ready to do my frame and was wondering how you did the graphics.

Comment

Looks good Len. I can only imagine the pain of it all. But did turn out nice. I'm doing up some things for a John Deere Garden Tractor engine and maybe some of the body parts.
              Who says you can't teach an ole dog new tricks?

Comment

Hey Figure,
                You may be able to avoid that by clearing the red, apply the graphics, and then another coat of clear.

It sometimes works to over cure the base coat a bit also.

Comment

Originally posted by Harleydad View Post
                  Hey Figure,
                  You may be able to avoid that by clearing the red, apply the graphics, and then another coat of clear.

It sometimes works to over cure the base coat a bit also.
                  clear over the base before paint is something on my list to try. i did try two sample sets with the same red powder:

1) i tried laying the white paint over black paint, since i did that on the green and blue frames and didn't have problems. there was no difference in the pinkness between the two.

2) i tried applying the paint just after flow-out vs over-cured. the flow-out sample turned *really* pink, and the powder also continued to flow into the paint edges making them look fuzzy. the over-cured sample turned maybe 1/2 as pink as the flow-out sample.
                  Len
                  Figure Finishing
                  866-900-4949

Comment

Another option for grahics in coating is to lay a base coat of the color you want your graphic down first on the whole piece or just in the area of the graphic,then lay the vinyl graphic on and shoot the whole part the final color ,cure til it just starts to flow ,then remove from oven ,carefully peal the graphic off and then proceed with full cure . I have done my calipers this way and find that the edge will flow out smooth .Then you can clear if neccessary.
                    www.creativecandy.org

Comment

Originally posted by o1racing03 View Post
                      Another option for grahics in coating is to lay a base coat of the color you want your graphic down first on the whole piece or just in the area of the graphic,then lay the vinyl graphic on and shoot the whole part the final color ,cure til it just starts to flow ,then remove from oven ,carefully peal the graphic off and then proceed with full cure . I have done my calipers this way and find that the edge will flow out smooth .Then you can clear if neccessary.
                      yeah, i haven't done a lot of experimenting with this yet.

i did try a base/clear/paint/clear today. that didn't seem to help. i suppose it's more an issue with the paint i'm using.
                      Len
                      Figure Finishing
                      866-900-4949

Comment

Working...
                      X