alloy wheel powder coating help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alloy wheel powder coating help

i have a set of alloy wheels to powder coat, well infact i have various sets to do

firstly i just wanted to confirm i am going about this in the rite way,

i have a spare alloy wheel to play around with, heres the steps i am goin to take and if you could confirm if i am correct or not,

alloy wheel has been profesionaly sandblasted
    apply powder undercoat and cure, allow to cool,
    apply powder colour and cure, allow to cool,
    apply clear top coat and cure, allow to cool,

does this sound about rite??

Re: alloy wheel powder coating help

what kind of gun do you have? you may have difficulties with the powder not wanting to cling on the second and third coats. if this is the case, you'll probably need to shoot them hot. basically, shoot first coat, bake for a few after it gels, pull it from the oven, wait til it cools to about 200-225, shoot second, put back in oven, bake for a few after it gels, repeat... definitely practice on the first rim.

when shooting cool (from my best experience):
    1) turn *down* the voltage if you can (reduced back ionization),
    2) keep the gun a good 10-12" from the wheel (reduced back ionization),
    and if you can't get the powder into corners:
    3) turn the air flow up to increase the powder velocity, and
    4) remove the powder deflector cone so it's more of a direct pin-point than a gentle spray.

for more details on shooting hot, search for "hot flocking"
    Len
    Figure Finishing
    www.FigureEngineering.com
    866-900-4949

Comment

i cant adjust the voltage on my gun, i got the gun from electrostaticmagic.co.uk

do u recomend using a conventional oven? i am using a fire brick lined furnace, i build furnaces for a living so i have plenty of them i can use.

do i heat up the wheel before applying the first coat ( undercoat ), or do i do this cold?

i thought the fan end on the gun was there to stop any clumps of powder from happening, is it ok to remove this?

Comment

You stated that you were under coating. Why? I only do that with Kl Primer or a black Epoxy and only on some stuff, but not on very much. Don't think I've heard of anybody undercoating aluminum wheels at all. And with your gun not having a KV control, you might be creating yourself a battle. Put your color on and clear it. Finished.
        Who says you can't teach an ole dog new tricks?

Comment

will that be durable enough for alloy wheels?

i was under the impression that alloys had to be undercoated in order to achieve a more chip resistance coating and for the powder to adhear better. im only going by wot i have read and i have watched videos etc, although i must admit that i did see some1 powder undercoating, then spray painting the colour on, then powder clear coating it, i would rather just powder coat it though to be honest,

so before i go ahead and order the undercoat, would it be safe not to use it then, pluss the undercoat aint exactly cheap as i need to buy 5KG minimum order,

Comment

i'm with jtw. i'd shoot it your color and that's it, unless that powder specifically requires a top coat. make sure whatever powder you choose is UV- and weather-stable.
            Len
            Figure Finishing
            www.FigureEngineering.com
            866-900-4949

Comment

so if i shoot it with say gloss yellow for instance as i have plenty of that powder to try, that is not the colour i will be using tho but this is a damaged wheel that i have lying around, it has been profeshionaly sandblasted already, so i think ill bite the bullet and give it a go, just out off interest if i feel it needs another coat how do i go about doing that? shoot it when i leaves the oven rite away or let it cool abit first?

ill kepp you updated, let the trial and errors begin

Comment

i do a lot of atv parts and all i do is shoot one color and thats it. and to answer your question yes pull it out of the oven and shoot a clear on it if you want to. i even have trouble with two coats even with an adj. 50kv gun

Comment

If you are going to pull it from the oven and shoot it (called HOT FLOCKING), let it cool a bit to around 250* and don't over do it or you will get runs. just make sure it's coated good. If you shoot it hotter then that it will start to flow. I've done it both ways. Sometimes, with the hobby gun you have no other choice but to hot flock, cause it won't stick. I have the King Coat and I will do that, just speed things up a bit. But normally I shoot um cold.

Comment

ok heres my attempt at my first wheel.

just gave it 1 coat of gloss yellow and thats it, its very durable and very very smooth, i dont think it needs a clear coat, would i be wrong to do a set of alloys for some1 and not clear them? also if i was to clear a rim how do i know wen i have totally covered the rim before i cure it again as im guessin the powder will be clear? or am i wrong

anyway heres the pic, your comment are welcome

Comment

Originally posted by stevieITR View Post
                      ok heres my attempt at my first wheel.

just gave it 1 coat of gloss yellow and thats it, its very durable and very very smooth, i dont think it needs a clear coat, would i be wrong to do a set of alloys for some1 and not clear them? also if i was to clear a rim how do i know wen i have totally covered the rim before i cure it again as im guessin the powder will be clear? or am i wrong

anyway heres the pic, your comment are welcome
                      What clear will do for the some one is give the Wheel/Yellow more protection and durability. Also when you spray the clear it will go on white. You will definitely know when you spray it on.

By the way, the wheel looks good, so don't stop there.

Comment

That looks great 4 the 1st attempt.

Comment

did you heat the wheel before shooting it?

Comment

what kind of PC system are you using? How big is that rim?

Comment

thanks for the comments, sorry for the very long dellay in replying, had some family stuff to take care of recently,

the rim is a 15" size, i didnt heat the rim before shooting it, should i have??

ok so basically clear coating a rim is just a personal prefrence?? is the clear hard to shoot and wot is the proper way to shoot it after shooting the first colour?

thanks for all your replys

Comment

Working...
                              X