No announcement yet.

building my spray booth with pictures.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• building my spray booth with pictures.

So I have been building my spray booth for powder coating. and thought that I would share how i'm doing it. There's not many people that show what they did so I thought why not. after the booth is finished I will start building my LPG or CNG powered oven that will coat sand rails and other things of mass size. As for the oven that I have now its 5'W x 4' H x 3' L and its LPG powered and I got it for $50 so I can't bitch about that.

As for the booth i'm building it's 5'W x 8' H x 4' L.

I have 2 blowers attached to it. One came from a house furnace, It flows about 2000 CFM, As for the other blower that I have they clame that it flows 1725 CFM I dont know if I believe that but its clamed to. I think that I have spent a total of $60 dollars building this booth. Any input is welcome.

Now let me see if I cant get the pictures to upload, sorry if the pictures are huge

Re: building my spray booth with pictures.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Been there and done that, a couple of times. Mine works well, better then dust all over. Appears that a lot of thought went into yours, meaning you were busy. Captions with the pics would help for those who want to put one together. I'm curious about the two fans and the purpose of two.
                    Who says you can't teach an ole dog new tricks?

Comment

The reason that I did 2 blower is because with the spray booth this size needed alot of cfm. I started thinking hell 1725 CFM should be enough, Ill give it a try well I put the small bower on and my buddy came over smoking, wouldnt even suck the smoke into the blower, I found that it didnt suck enough with the size of the booth.

The big blower that is housed in the wood box is just a house furnace heater. my friend does HVAC, I asked him for a blower or could get me one for dirt cheap. he told me to come over and pick it up, told me it was around 2000 CFM. Well the small blower was clamed to be 1725 cfm didnt have enough. so I put them both together and now it will have enought. Im guessing that combined CFM is close to 3000 CFM could be more or less. Guessing.

All that I did was took a sheet of 4'x8' ply wood and built a frame around it braced it up. for the 2 side walls.

2 - 4'x8' sheets
                      8 - 2x4

The back wall is 5'x8'. So what I did was cut the 4'x8' sheet in half and left a channel in the middle that is 1' wide built a frame screwed the half sheets to the outside and left the center opened up. got another sheet of ply wood 4'x8' I cut a piece that is 1'x8' put that piece on the back side (outside of the booth) to make a channel for the filters.

7 - 2x4
                      2 - 4'x8' sheets

Top I took what was left of the sheets of wood and made the top its got a piece of 3 1/2" channel iron stuck it over the middle 2x4 with a grade 8 1/2 bolt in the center for the carousel or what ever you want to call it. The ground wire I drilled and taped (1/4 20) the grade 8 bolt in the center so when the carousel spins the wire will not twist with it. I also build log splitter the new one is going to be a 50 ton. There for I made it strong enought that it would hold over 400 lbs I do know its over kill but I had the channel laying around

1 - 5' x 3 1/2 x 1/4" channel
                      1 - 2' x 3 1/2 x 1/4" channel
                      1 - Grade 8 1/2 4"
                      8' - 8 gauge wire
                      1 - 1/4 20 bolt
                      3 - 2x4
                      1 - 4'x8' sheet

The tunnel for the blower that is mounted on the side was made of the scraps that I had left over from other projects. Tunnel is 8" deep from the back of the 2x4's 5' to the side of the blower.

I still need to finish the lighting its all wired up I just need to get the lights and mount/wire them up. all im going to use is just 3, 4' fluorescent lights maybe 4 lights.

all the wiring is all over with 5 boxes. 1 light switch. 1 blower switch. 3 that are plugs. 12/3 wire.

**** TON OF SCREWS.
                      Liquid nails
                      silicone

Comment

Excellent!, nice write up. I think some of the new guys as well as us older ones appreciate your work and write up. Thanks, JT
                        Who says you can't teach an ole dog new tricks?

Comment

I thoght that it would be nice for me to do that for people. Im sure that I will have alot of questions for the oven that im building.Im sure that I will have some questions about doing powder coating.

Comment

Looks a bit like mine. I just used the air handler with the blower in it and made a large area for filters with a duct on the back.

Grumple
                            Grumple

Comment

What size blower are you using? So I thought about my booth and I dont feel like using it in my garage. So my buddy has his garage that he said that i can use half of it for powder coating. i just have to kick him down $60 a month for power and LPG. On top of that he finds me alot of work. the kicker is his garage is 98" anf the booth is 99 1/2" tall. so im going to cut 6" off the bottom. I hope that is enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X