Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3x3' oven

Hello,
    I want to build about a 2.5x2.5 or 3x3' oven for powder coating. What is the cheapest way and best on electricity?

Also, about how much will the materials cost?

Thanks.

Re: 3x3' oven

I've built two ovens, one at 3x3x3. It is heated with oven heating elements. Electric cost is what it is, not much of a way to get around it. As for material cost, it varies with your area, thickness and type. Here I can pick up a sheet 60"x120" (5x10) for $32.00. But that's not galvanized either, which is better for an oven. You can figure somewhere starting at $800.00 maybe. Depends on your area and what you can get local. You just need to ask around and see.
    Who says you can't teach an ole dog new tricks?

Comment

can you use infared lamps to cure the powder coat inside like a metal box?

Also, if possible I would prefer 115v.

Comment

Originally posted by manco12 View Post
        can you use infared lamps to cure the powder coat inside like a metal box?

Also, if possible I would prefer 115v.
        You can cure powder with an infrared lamp, but it cures in spots and takes longer. As for using 115v, you won't get the heat from the elements that you want to cure powder. 220 is better and cheaper in the long haul. I have a small oven with 115 and will change it to 220. Better all the way around. It takes 220 long enough to heat up. I can't even imagine how long it would take with 115v.

Comment

1. How is 115v vs 230v in terms of electricity cost?

2. Does the higher voltage make it cost more? I mean I don't know how it works... :P

3. And I mean can I put the infrared lamp in an enclosure to cure it?

4. And could I cure powder coat on a hot day outside with an infared lamp for a dune buggy frame? (no enclosure)

Thanks

Comment

1. How is 115v vs 230v in terms of electricity cost?
            Research it as I don't have the answer for that.
            2. Does the higher voltage make it cost more? I mean I don't know how it works... :P
            As above, I'm not qualified to answer that with and figuers. Just what I was told by a friend (electrician)
            Never used one. Only going by what has been posted here. Do a search of the forum to get info.
            4. And could I cure powder coat on a hot day outside with an infared lamp for a dune buggy frame? (no enclosure)

Thanks
            Don't know where outside on a hot day is going to cure anything but the chills. Powder has to reach 350- 400 deg to cure. Infrared will cure the powder, but as I said, it will do it on one area at a time, according to comments made on this forum. An oven is used, because it will contain the heat that is generated, thereby heating the part all over. Do some searching and you will find most of your answers, unless someone else chimes in. Sorry can't help you much on the electric cost.

Comment

1. How is 115v vs 230v in terms of electricity cost? The voltage has nothing directly to do with cost. Electrical usage is based on watts or kilowatts in most cases. It's the wattage of the elements that determine the operating cost.

However, an element rated at a specific wattage with 240 volts input will only output 1/4 the wattage if the input voltage is 120, so indirectly the voltage does factor into the equation. But the bottom line is that the total wattage will determine the operating cost regardless of the input voltage being 120 or 240.

2. Does the higher voltage make it cost more? I mean I don't know how it works... :P No, see above explaination

Thanks
              A 3x3x3 oven is too large to heat with a single 20A 120 volt circuit. If you have (2) distinct circuits, (not 2 or more receptacles on the same circuit) you could build a control box with a single pid and (2) contactors or ssrs, each getting power from a different source.

Regardless, you will need around 4-5000 watts for this size oven.
              Last edited by ed_denu; 04-05-2010, 09:16 AM.

Comment

I want to know if it would be possible to make an oven powered by an infrared light like the 2000w one made by infratech. So that I could use the lamp in the oven when doing small things. Then I could take out the lamp and use it on things that won't fit in an oven like a frame. I realize that it would do the frame in spots, but that's not a problem other than taking time is it?

Also, would it require a lot less power to heat up an oven that is 1.5 ft wide, 2.5 ft tall, and 2.5 ft long?

Oh and JTW37, I meant curing on a hot day outside with an infared lamp :P

Comment

An 18X30x30 oven should heat fine on a 20A 120 volt source(1500 watts).

I would not place an IR lamp in a fully enclosed space as I'm fairly certain the units are not designed to withstand this high of a temperature.

Comment

Originally posted by ed_denu View Post
                    An 18X30x30 oven should heat fine on a 20A 120 volt source(1500 watts).

I would not place an IR lamp in a fully enclosed space as I'm fairly certain the units are not designed to withstand this high of a temperature.
                    What are my options for heating that size up? That's the size I need, I just said bigger before to have some extra space but I don't need it. I could always build it in 2 sections or so I can add a section later.

What's the price I'm looking at and what do I need to heat it up?

Oh, and how accurate does the oven temp have to be? Can it be like 50 degrees hotter than it's supposed to? I'm just curious.

Thanks

Comment

What are my options for heating that size up? That's the size I need, I just said bigger before to have some extra space but I don't need it. I could always build it in 2 sections or so I can add a section later.

What's the price I'm looking at and what do I need to heat it up? Are you asking about the cost for the complete oven build, or just the electronics? Most toaster ovens are around 1500 watts, so you might be able to salvage the components from one for your oven. A 50 degree variance might be a little to much, especially for some lighter colors and clears. A 10-20 degree variance probably wouldn't make much difference.

Oh, and how accurate does the oven temp have to be? Can it be like 50 degrees hotter than it's supposed to? I'm just curious.

Thanks
                      If you want to build a simple control box with a pid, ssr/contactor and element, the cost would probably be around $100.

Comment

Originally posted by ed_denu View Post
                        If you want to build a simple control box with a pid, ssr/contactor and element, the cost would probably be around $100.
                        So that estimated $100 includes everything I will need except the actual metal frame and insulation?

How much will it all combined cost?

And would a toaster oven really work to take the heating elements out of or would it take forever to heat up?

If I were to use elements from a small oven, what would I need from the oven? Would I just need the "elements" or the elements and something else?

Thanks for all your help

Comment

So that estimated $100 includes everything I will need except the actual metal frame and insulation? $100 should cover the cost of the electronics for a simple electronic control box.

How much will it all combined cost? Can't estimate that as the cost of materials varies widely depending on location. Check HD or Lowes for metal studs and call around for galvanized sheet prices.

And would a toaster oven really work to take the heating elements out of or would it take forever to heat up? As I mentioned, typical toaster ovens are around 1500 watts which will heat the 18x30x30 in approximately 15 minutes.

If I were to use elements from a small oven, what would I need from the oven? Would I just need the "elements" or the elements and something else? elements need a thermostat type device and something to switch the elements on/off. That is the function of the pid and ssr/contactor.

Thanks for all your help
                          see above xxxxx

Comment

Thanks,
                            Also, I know different people have different opinions on this but what gauge galvanized steel sheet would you use for this oven?

And what do you mean by metal studs? (I'll look at other threads, I know I've seen them in other threads.)

I really appreciate you leading me in the right direction. Thanks

Comment

Thanks,
                              Also, I know different people have different opinions on this but what gauge galvanized steel sheet would you use for this oven?

And what do you mean by metal studs? (I'll look at other threads, I know I've seen them in other threads.)

I really appreciate you leading me in the right direction. Thanks
                              I dont know what gauge sheet metal to use, but as far as the metal studs go...They are like a metal 2x4. Usually 3 sided and hollow in the middle. Like a boxed "U" shaped long peice of metal if you will. you can pick them up at hardware stores. I know Home Depot sells them. And their pretty cheep too. Just go there and ask someone who works there where they are.

Comment

Working...
                              X