Announcement

Collapse

CASWELD Our new 'Welding' rods

Introducing our latest range of Welding and brazing rods, for the repair of Pot Metal, Aluminum, Stainless and much more.

Please see our web page for details.

http://www.caswellplating.com/restor...ding-rods.html
See more
See less

Quick question on building an oven

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question on building an oven

Hi everyone,

Hope all is well as the new year approaches. I have been reading posts of oven builds lately and decided to go ahead and build one for powder coating since I have been doing a lot of that lately using a tabletop convection oven. The oven I would like to build is not very large since I wont be baking anything larger than maybe a car rim (huge maybe). I am looking to throw something together with the dimensions of 3' L x 18" W x 2' H.

The question is will I need a blower in this oven to make it convection? I opened my convection oven the other day and I never did notice a fan built into the board. Even when you press the convection button you cannot hear a fan turn on or anything, I still wonder why they call it a convection oven. I really would like mine to circulate the air all throughout the oven when its turned on, but since you folks are the experts I am asking for ideas.

In a regular kitchen oven you have burners on the top and bottom of the oven. In my little convection oven for powder coating there is also a burner at the top and bottom. The oven I want to build I don't know if the burners should be at the top and bottom or just place them on the sides at the bottom.

Thanks folks...

Convection is nothing more than a fancy name for an oven with a recirculating air fan. They probably would help but in a small powder coat oven it may not be necessary. I still use a kitchen oven for small parts and it doesn't have convection. I do have a baffle over the element which is at the bottom of the oven.

As for placement, bottom or sides would work better than top for obvious reasons. A lot depends on how you intend to hang or place parts into it. One 2000 watt element should be more than sufficient for that size oven. Ovens with bake(bottom) and broil(top) elements seldom use both concurrently, possibly with the exception of a self cleaning cycle.

Comment

Appreciate the feedback ed_denu. I really had no idea that is how an oven worked, bottom (bake) and top (broil). I am being serious, I always though that both burners kicked on at the same time. Ed, the baffle on the bottom is that to keep the heat from directly burning up any parts that are hanging closely over it?

Comment

Yes, the baffle is there to reduce radiant heat from the elements possibly over heating and burning parts hung close to it. I have baffles on both ovens, just thin sheet aluminum with many holes punched into them.

Comment

AS far as Baffles go, I use a large pizza stone in my "kitchen" oven... It helps maintain heat as well as eliminating the Direct radiant heat. I found mine at a garage sale for a dollar last time around. They are breakable so I've broken a couple while cleaning and one I dropped a part on and broke... but like I said... garage sale item and cheap.
          sigpic

See photos of my work on Facebook "Scottrods Powder Coating"

EMAIL [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by SCOTTRODS View Post
            AS far as Baffles go, I use a large pizza stone in my "kitchen" oven... It helps maintain heat as well as eliminating the Direct radiant heat. I found mine at a garage sale for a dollar last time around. They are breakable so I've broken a couple while cleaning and one I dropped a part on and broke... but like I said... garage sale item and cheap.
            One thing I never got into was the garage sales, my wife loves that stuff but I never go with her. It would be really nice to find an oven in one but I think building one to the size I want would be better. Guys you have been very helpful, I am going to start designing this thing so I can start building it.

Thanks again...

Comment

Working...
            X